Menu
Ian_Nunthorpe
Dialled in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

V6 Box: Transfer of My Shows from TiVo

When the new V6 box is installed, will it be possible to transfer the outstanding My Shows from the TiVo box that is being replaced?

Without this feature, I would expect current TiVo users to be reluctant to upgrade.

The V6 box is described as "powered by TiVo" - hopefully it will be vastly faster than the current sluggish 

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Box: Transfer of My Shows from TiVo

Ian_Nunthorpe wrote:

When the new V6 box is installed, will it be possible to transfer the outstanding My Shows from the TiVo box that is being replaced?

Without this feature, I would expect current TiVo users to be reluctant to upgrade.

I suspect it won't.  I lost everything last week when the TiVo failed.  If only there could be an external drive  https://www.tivo.com/support/how-to/how-increase-recording-capacity-your-tivo-box

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

All the recording capability is provided for is to timeshift programmes for watching at more convenient times. At least that is the agreement that VM has with the owners of the channels it provides. With that in mind its unlikely any kind of transfer would be allowed.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Ian_Nunthorpe
Dialled in
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

The programmes in My Shows would still used in the same way whether they happened to be in a TiVo or a V6 box. Therefore, I can see no reason why a transfer should not be allowed, if the new box had the technology to make it possible. 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

technically not possible. it is very likely that all recordings are encrypted to play only on the box that recorded them, as an anti-piracy measure

any tool that decrypted content to copy to  another box could be mis-used for piracy. so no such tool will be allowed out into the wild, even if one exists.

blame the hollywood lawyers, not virgin. they are contractually forced into blocking all copy methods for HD content.. so you cannot for example just plug a recorder into a different TV HDMi port and copy that way

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate content removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Ian_Nunthorpe wrote:

The programmes in My Shows would still used in the same way whether they happened to be in a TiVo or a V6 box. Therefore, I can see no reason why a transfer should not be allowed, if the new box had the technology to make it possible. 

That would add months and months to the testing period as new software would have to be written, tested, agreements made with all the broadcasters , expect the new box by 2018 just so you can transfer  a few shows, personally I'd watch them

0 Kudos
Ian_Nunthorpe
Dialled in
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

My 1TB TiVo box is 32% full - that is a lot of hours of TV-watching. I suspect a lot of people are in a similar position and would not be keen on swapping boxes. That is why I was asking if Virgin Media had anticipated this problem and had already included a one-off transfer procedure on the day the boxes are swapped over.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Ian_Nunthorpe wrote:

My 1TB TiVo box is 32% full - that is a lot of hours of TV-watching. I suspect a lot of people are in a similar position and would not be keen on swapping boxes. That is why I was asking if Virgin Media had anticipated this problem and had already included a one-off transfer procedure on the day the boxes are swapped over.

their contracts with content providers will not allow it. and like I said before there's encryption. I am pretty up to speed on hacks but I don't know of any that can extract HD content form a Tivo drive.... even if you could get the drive in and out of the box

that's why there was no option for moving content from V box to Tivo, and why there is no data recovery option if an engineer ever has to swap out your box

and even if the legalities were resolved there'd be  the time factor - an engineer has better things to do than twiddle his thumbs for hours while a 1TB data transfer take place !

legally, you don't own those recordings, or the disc that they are written to, and you have no rights to any copies, backups, transfers. It's not like the old days of VHS recorders, and even those has some primitive copy protection schemes. 

seriously, if you want to hoard TV shows and don't want to buy them as  DVD / Blu ray box sets , then you need to go google how to use torrents , or wait for them to come around on Netlfix / Prime Video ( which many do ) 

some smart TVs have record to USB option but again, playback will only work on the TV whcih makes the recording, and may only work for OTA broadcasts, not for anything incoming on HDMi ports

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Moving on from what I said above. Virgin owns the recording box, so effectively owns the recordings, & can so can do what it likes with them.

As for looking at the future, its likely to get worse rather than better.

The firmware is already there to "time limit" recordings to a fixed expiry period, which any broadcaster can decide to impose.

Many platform providers are looking at, if not already testing "cloud" boxes without any internal storage. Your recording is held in "the cloud", so can be viewed, stopped, started, rewound etc on any device seamlessly. The drawback with this is expiry dates on recordings would become commonplace.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
SPR
Tuning in
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

It's legally & technically possible to steam between boxes if we have a 2nd one, so why not?
0 Kudos