Menu
jdpking
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V+ upgrading to Tivo and losing recordings?

I've received the Tivo upgrade (box) but the missus has 40 hours of recordings she doesn't want to lose on the old V+ box.

I've unplugged the digital cable on the V+ box (whilst powered up) to test if the recordings are still there, and they are.  The intention is to move the V+ box to the spare room so she can watch the recordings on spare TV (as when suits).  However when we powered it back up it tries to connect to the digital cable (which obviously isn't there).?

Is there a way (some setting on the menu) that allows us to upgrade to the Tivo and still use the old V+ box to watch the recorded stuff?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V+ upgrading to Tivo and losing recordings?

jdpking wrote:

I've received the Tivo upgrade (box) but the missus has 40 hours of recordings she doesn't want to lose on the old V+ box.

I've unplugged the digital cable on the V+ box (whilst powered up) to test if the recordings are still there, and they are.  The intention is to move the V+ box to the spare room so she can watch the recordings on spare TV (as when suits).  However when we powered it back up it tries to connect to the digital cable (which obviously isn't there).?

Is there a way (some setting on the menu) that allows us to upgrade to the Tivo and still use the old V+ box to watch the recorded stuff?

Instead of upgrading to a TiVo you should have added a TiVo as an additional box and got a new connection point added in the spare room of yours. Then you could have done exactly what you say you want to. Recordings aren't transferred between STBs. 

I know that a TiVo will run without the cable (I.E. recordings can be viewed), but it sounds like the V+ does not have that option. Also, the V+ box you have is not the Samsung variety? If it was the Samsung type VM would want it returned.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
jdpking
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I was never offered the option of using both boxes?  Also, it is a samsung but they never asked for it back?  Can I assume they will be asking for it in the future?

Also, is there no way of setting a configuration on the V+ to 'think' it has a digital connection and therefore allow us to view the HD?

I'm guessing there is but not sure I'll get the answer lol.

Thanks,
John

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

jdpking wrote:

I was never offered the option of using both boxes?
Odd, you should have been. You can have up to 6 STBs in one home, whether that be 6 TiVos or a mix of TiVo's and V+'s. It doesn't matter. You would of course pay I believe an additional £5 a month for holding onto the V+ as additional box. You could always call in and ask if they would arrange for that to be done in retrospect, but you would need an engineer out to get a new coax point for it.

Also, it is a samsung but they never asked for it back?  Can I assume they will be asking for it in the future?
What I know so far is: At one point VM said all V+ boxes were not wanted back. Then they backtracked and said the Samsung V+ type had to be returned. They may have backtracked again and not care about any V+'s anymore, but I haven't seen an update stating that yet. So it is something to hold onto until a forum-team.png Forum Team member here states otherwise.

Also, is there no way of setting a configuration on the V+ to 'think' it has a digital connection and therefore allow us to view the HD?
VM's kit demands a working coax connect for most features to work and now that you've upgraded to a TiVo, it probably wouldn't work anyway as the V+'s MAC address would be off your account. I couldn't really discuss it beyond that as VM don't want that 'work around' type of discussion in their community.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos