Menu
majikthiseuk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

V+ to TiVo boxswap

I have a quick question regarding the box swap which version of the TiVo will I receive the old Cisco CT8685DVB or the newer Samsung SMT-7101?

I only ask since the last few times I've had Virgin swap out equipment in the past I've had a Vbox swapped and a Superhub, in which they changed the Vbox they gave me a Scientific-Atlanta Explorer despite the Samsung one being more recent to replace the old none PVR box, and I had the same with the Superhub where they replaced the Superhub 1 with a Superhub 2 rather then a 2AC which was the latest.

I just find it stupid that they replace old equipment with old equipment when there is newer equipment available which leads to needing to replace that equipment again at a later date this is then compounded if you need an engineer when they just replace it once again with the old equipment.

It feels like Virgin would rather keep people behind the curve to off load outdated hardware when swapping things out then actually future proofing more with supplying the newer equipment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: V+ to TiVo boxswap

Both the Samsung and Cisco TiVo boxes are current hardware. There isn't an 'old' one or 'new' one.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
majikthiseuk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Respectfully that wasn't the question while they both might be "current hardware" there are distinct differences between the two boxes including look, with the Cisco being akin to a Series 4 Premier TiVo while the Samsung is closer to a Series 5 Roamio neither of which actually conform to an true TiVo in any real sense of the system since Virgin restrict a massive amount of functions from the boxes, like user installed applications such as DNLA streaming players, adding an additional external  eSATA drive or content backup (which I kind of get due to licensing)

As for age Ciscos were first offered in late 2010 for a 1Tb and mid 2011 for 500Gb and Samsung in late 2011 / early 2012 so there is a difference in age as well as make up.

On top of that some remotes that you can download as apps like Peel for control of TV, HiFi, DVD etc have issues with the TiVo functions on the Cisco while having no problems with the Samsung boxes especially when it comes to using a keyboard as an input method over using the arrow system or TiVo software input.

So I will ask the question again which of the two boxes will I be supplied with as a swap?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You won't know until it arrives. Thats the simple answer. Virgin owns the boxes, & rents them out to do a job. As long as they fit the spec for what they have to do, it makes little difference.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
majikthiseuk
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

See there in lies the problem even if they don't do the job right you get it anyway, like the ongoing issue with the Cisco boxes recording back to back on the same channel when it just breaks the second recording completely on occasion or about 90% of the time. This means you can't time skip in the second recording without it jumping randomly.

Virgins form response from the support team is record two different channels, surprisingly I don't want to record a SD channel when the box should be able to record both from a HD channel this doesn't happen on the Samsung boxes as much if ever. Same with the remote the Samsung will happily work with the Peanut Keyboard version of the standard TiVo remote, the Cisco doesn't despite them both being TiVo and the remote being certified by TiVo to work with both systems I found out from TiVo support that most of the reported issues UK TiVo uses get are due to the modified hardware and software that VM supply and want from TiVo for the firmware and a lot more of the bugs are present in the Cisco version. I get issues all the time on the Cisco 500 which are the same as my families Cisco 1Tb however they have zero issues with their second Samsung 1Tb they have even asked repeatedly to have their Cisco replaced but Virgin won't do it, even when they had an engineer come out and tell them that the issue are known to exist all he could offer was another Cisco since he had to do like for like telling them that he knew for certain that giving them another Cisco would not solve the issue.

As I say it seem dumb to me to have new and old hardware yet supply the older and inferior product to current users while new users get the latest, it's not like there is any brand loyalty for being a long time subscriber most of the time you get the short end of the stick in that regard especially when it comes to replacements.

Just thought it might be nice to know what people had received as a replacement for their V+ boxes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

majikthiseuk wrote:

As I say it seem dumb to me to have new and old hardware yet supply the older and inferior product to current users while new users get the latest, it's not like there is any brand loyalty for being a long time subscriber most of the time you get the short end of the stick in that regard especially when it comes to replacements.

Whether you're a new customer or an existing customer you may get either a Cisco TiVo or Samsung TiVo as they are both classed as current kit. You cannot request a specific version, nor will Virgin Media guarantee you a specific version.

For most customers the choice with TiVo is whether you want a 500GB or 1TB box - although for the V+ HD swap out, Virgin are currently offering a 1TB TiVo as the replacement.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
majikthiseuk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh really interesting that every time I RaF someone they get 2ACs and Samsungs while my friends and myself getting replacements and upgrades get Ciscos and straight 2ns. I was even told that by engineers on a repair on different occasions that the standard practice with new installs is to give the latest model if they have them on the van and to only give older models if there was none available in the warehouse, while existing customers will always receive the older equipment or like for like if it's still available and to never give the new equipment unless there is no other choice such as if the Cisco develops a fault on the install.

So like I say new better, faster, more stable equipment better give the existing customer the stuff that's older since it's cheaper and sitting gathering dust even if there are known existing problems that could be rectified by installing the newer equipment.

"Want to take part of faster wifi from your 200 connection, here take this 2n instead of the 2ac" not counting congestion or future proofing it will need to be replaced faster then the ac, so why give ns in the first place once the ac was available or not upgrade them on fault where a replacement is necessary? It's exactly the same here two boxes one with more issue then the other, one is newer and will more then likely have a longer life before retirement for the next latest model, let's just give people the earlier model.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Or,in my case, I was delighted to get another Cisco as a replacement for my box swap. Since the Samsung boxes are hamstrung by the Dolby Digital problem while my Cisco is not, this seems to be the best choice for me.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos