Menu
ewokian999
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

V+ did not come with smart card

Hello. My V+ box, the 2nd of 2 boxes. (1 TiVo, 1 V+). did not come with a card. The Tivo did come with a card but this will not work in the V+ box. Is there a way to get another card if it needs one. The boxes were set up in March this year. Also how big is the hard drive on the V+? It doesn`t show on the packaging or the box itself. Last of all. Is it possible to use the V+ box as the main recorder as the Tivo is very poor and only 500G. Thanks in advance for any help received. Phill.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: V+ did not come with smart card

TiVo boxes don't use smart cards. 

As far as I remember the V+ only has 160Ggb Hdds I'm them. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
ewokian999
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello. Tidus.  Thanks for your reply. I`ve just checked on my box and it says it is a "Cisco" made box with a small VM logo on the top , there is a card in the back of it. I assumed this was a Tivo box because that's what I have been told and understood it to be. All of the tutorials ,menu page talk about Tivo. Is this right? The second box is a Samsung made device with a card slot in the back. I ask because after only a couple of months with VM, I am regretting it. Anyway, thanks again for the reply and any other info I can be advised on. Phill.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This page shows you what the TiVo box looks like http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/tivo/explore/tivo-box.html

And this shows what the Samsung V+ HD box looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%2B#Samsung_SMT-H3110

But as mentioned the TiVo box doesn't need a Smartcard anymore - it still has a card slot because the hardware was designed when it did need a Smartcard.

You will need to speak to Virgin Media who should be able to sort this out for you. I would expect that the card you have should be in the V+ HD box, but it may take some signals to get it to work properly.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
ewokian999
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi BenMcr. Thanks for your reply. Looking at the pics of the boxes, one is the Tivo and the other is the Samsung V+. The viewing card has been in the Tivo as that is how the boxes were left by the installers. I ask about the V+ as I was hoping to maybe use this as an extra HDD as the Tivo box was supposed to  be 1TB, only the 500GB one was supplied. I will try VM, again and see if that helps. Thank you for your help in this matter.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your not going to get much extra space out of a V+HD box as it only has a 160GB HDD. Maybe you should have gone for an extra TiVo box as you can then link them on the same network (lan) and for some channels can stream recording from one box to another.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
ewokian999
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tidus. 160gb? good grief. I had no idea the HDD`s were so small. I was expecting the 1 TB box, as that was what I specified and was told I would get. On contacting VM, the only thing they said I could do was buy a 1tb box. Is it possible to add an off board Hdd? I have a 2 odd yr old Seagate 3 TB desktop hd . I think I asked this Q, about hdd, on sky network forum I was on before changing to VM, but you could not. I was thinking of using the old trick of pouring a mug of water into the Tivo, not a lot of help no, but satisfying but that would jus mean I had the same problem AND a mess to clear up Smiley Happy. Thanks again for your help. Phill.

0 Kudos