Menu
sue1807
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

V+ boxswap

I have a TiVo box & a V+ box & I've received a letter to upgrade my V+ box to a TiVo box for free.

Apparently I currently pay £5 for my TiVo box & nothing for V+ box & when V+ box is upgraded i will still only pay £5 for both boxes.

So whether i have one TiVo box or two TiVo boxes I pay the same price, is that right?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V+ boxswap

I am guessing your V+ box is one of the Scientific Atlanta ones. VM are replacing these with TiVos as they will soon no longer work properly. As VM are pushing this they are applying a discount code to wave the £5 TiVo fee.

All Replies
EvoUK
Superfast
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I believe you'll pay £5 for each Tivo box, but before you go ahead I'd just give them a call to clarify it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am guessing your V+ box is one of the Scientific Atlanta ones. VM are replacing these with TiVos as they will soon no longer work properly. As VM are pushing this they are applying a discount code to wave the £5 TiVo fee.
jadedomnivore
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I agreed only recently to do a free box swap because our V+ box worked fine and my wife had programmes saved onto it that she wanted to watch.  In more recent months, services such as catch-up and on-demand stopped working due to what appears to have been software or firmware updates that have downgraded the functionality of the device.  I received a call from VM asking if I wanted to take advantage of the free swap that would cost me nothing to change. I agreed for a new TiVo to be posted out and that I would swap the boxes myself, requiring no engineer to visit.  Later that day I received a revised bill showing an increased charge for the next month which included a £15.99 activation charge!  Clearly my definition of no additional charge is different to VMs. I received the TiVo but did not change it to allow my wife to watch her programmes but several days later I saw the V+ perform a restart during the night. The following day it had been downgraded by an update so that my wife could not gain access to any recorded programmes, nor record any new ones. Thanks VM. The new TiVo is still unopened in its box as I decide whether to finally leave VM after around 15 years as a customer (since they were Telewest). Watch out for the hidden charges.

0 Kudos
jadedomnivore
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I agreed only recently to do a free box swap because our V+ box worked fine and my wife had programmes saved onto it that she wanted to watch. In more recent months, services such as catch-up and on-demand stopped working due to what appears to have been software or firmware updates that have downgraded the functionality of the device. I received a call from VM asking if I wanted to take advantage of the free swap that would cost me nothing to change. I agreed for a new TiVo to be posted out and that I would swap the boxes myself, requiring no engineer to visit. Later that day I received a revised bill showing an increased charge for the next month which included a £15.99 activation charge! Clearly my definition of no additional charge is different to VMs. I received the TiVo but did not change it to allow my wife to watch her programmes but several days later I saw the V+ perform a restart during the night. The following day it had been downgraded by an update so that my wife could not gain access to any recorded programmes, nor record any new ones. Thanks VM. The new TiVo is still unopened in its box as I decide whether to finally leave VM after around 15 years as a customer (since they were Telewest). Watch out for the hidden charges.

0 Kudos
jadedomnivore
Joining in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

My message has appeared twice, perhaps because the first time I posted it, there was a message saying I had not replied to my verification email (I had just joined).  I switched to mail, verified, then hit the post button again. Perhaps this is why I see a lot of duplicated postings on this forum.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If a new box has been confirmed as received you need to change it ASAP. Its rented kit, & to prevent boxes being sent out & then illegally sold there are measures put in place. One of these is if you don't activate the new box within a set period the TV service is suspended.

The only way to "keep" the second box to watch recordings is to get the wiring changed & rent it as a second box for a temporary period.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
jadedomnivore
Joining in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info nodrogd.

I have an existing TiVo, a V+ and a V HD so I have 3 boxes rented.  The V HD was playing up a while ago and was in a room where we rarely used it so haven't called out an engineer as someone would have to take time off work to sort it out. I could have replaced the V HD with the new TiVo for a while but didn't as it would have required swapping everything around again in a couple of weeks. No time limit was mentioned in my conversation with VM and I did mention that my wife had recorded programmes on the V+ box which was my reasoning for not changing something that worked earlier. So in my opinion, failure to mention this time restriction AND the 'activation' charge for me exchanging one of our 3 boxes was two strikes of turning a call designed to 'improve' our service into customer dissatisfaction.I understand that there are dodgy people in this world, but to resell a piece of rented equipment that would immediately identify itself to the VM network as kit supplied to me would be stupidity on my behalf. I would have hoped that my 15+ years as a customer on a lucrative package would suggest that I am not that kind of person, but I also realise that the behaviour of a corrupt few force automated safeguards that annoy the honest majority. Charging me extra to view the program's I have already recorded when I am being forced to change hardware will possibly be strike three, especially when I didn't need to change the hardware for months yet, according to the deadline date. I offered collection of the V+ box when we had finished with it but they don't want it back and I was advised to recycle it. The V+ now has less functionality than the V HD, which we have now connected in place of the Deactivated V+.

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I thought that if the new Tivo is being supplied to replace a Scientific America V+ box there should be no charges as this is required to keep the service working.when the network is updated.

The requirement to activate the box quickly is nothing personal and applies to all installs. Reactivation can also be required if a box is left turned off for a long period. Just standard operating procedure and probably done automatically by a computer.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

You're correct. If the swap was arranged through the box swap online form, there should (and for most people are) no charges.

I'd also point out that for the SA V+ swap activity, there is no option to keep the box - it will stop working.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos