Menu
Wildcard36
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using same TIVO box on tele in another room

I am soon to have virgin tivo installed in my bungalow.I have managed to connect a coaxial cable and magic eye to be able to watch same SKY+HD box and also to change channels from my bedroom.

Does anyone know if you can do a similar setup with tivo? I have been told to buy a longer HDMI cable, an HDMI splitter and IR transmtter? Has anyone did this and able to watch that Virgin tivo in another room and able to switch channels without purchasing a second box? I have tried getting through to Virgin techical support. Which seems to impossible on the phone and also by online chat.

I am trying to do this at no cost as I can't afford it more than £40 per month. I have been told to try a HDMI splitter with IR transmitter on a long HDMI cable to do it. One reason why I was switching to you from SKY was because I was told tivo had RF Output. How much would second box box and for it to be cabled into my bedroom?

Thank you

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using same TIVO box on tele in another room

Wildcard36 wrote:

I am soon to have virgin tivo installed in my bungalow.I have managed to connect a coaxial cable and magic eye to be able to watch same SKY+HD box and also to change channels from my bedroom.

Does anyone know if you can do a similar setup with tivo? I have been told to buy a longer HDMI cable, an HDMI splitter and IR transmtter? Has anyone did this and able to watch that Virgin tivo in another room and able to switch channels without purchasing a second box? I have tried getting through to Virgin techical support. Which seems to impossible on the phone and also by online chat.

I am trying to do this at no cost as I can't afford it more than £40 per month. I have been told to try a HDMI splitter with IR transmitter on a long HDMI cable to do it. One reason why I was switching to you from SKY was because I was told tivo had RF Output. How much would second box box and for it to be cabled into my bedroom?

A 20m HDMI with a powered HDMI splitter will provide the TV signal.  You can install TV anywhere on a device of your choosing (let's say iPad) and connect your Tivo to your home network (I can't do this at the moment because my TiVo is faulty).  The iPad can then be used as a remote.

A second TiVo would cost £15 to activate and £7.50/month.

0 Kudos
Wildcard36
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Which HDMI splitter would you suggest? I have bought one one ebay as well as a HDMI cable? I don't seem to get straight answers from Virgin they just pass you on yo someone else that you can't get a hold off.
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connecting TiVo to your home network to use the Virgin TV Anywhere app as an advanced remote control

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=13730&CURRENT_...

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Numerous available - shop around on eBay/Amazon. 1 IN 2/4 OUT HDMI Splitter Amplifier Duplicator Full HD 1080P with AC Power Cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Amplifier-Switch-1-Switcher-Support/dp/B00LM4IJ60/ref=sr_1_11?s=el...

OR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Splitter-1080p-3D-HDMI1-4-Switcher-1-In-4-Out-1-4-HDMI-Amplifier-Box-...

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My advice would be to use good quality, preferably 4k splitters and cables.  My set up uses all Neet equipment, from Amazon, - I set it up when I was a Sky customer to ensure I maintained full 3D capability and true HDCP compliance.  Also, I wanted to ensure decent sound quality throughout the system.

My set up might look confusing but it enables viewing/gaming in any room while other people can watch/play something else.  The Neet matrix also strips digital audio from the HDMI signal to give me 5.1 when using the projector.  Using decent splitters and cables I'm not losing any quality despite multiple splits and long cable runs.

HDMI set up.001.jpeg

arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

steelysteph wrote:

My advice would be to use good quality, preferably 4k splitters and cables.  My set up uses all Neet equipment, from Amazon, - I set it up when I was a Sky customer to ensure I maintained full 3D capability and true HDCP compliance.  Also, I wanted to ensure decent sound quality throughout the system.

My set up might look confusing but it enables viewing/gaming in any room while other people can watch/play something else.  The Neet matrix also strips digital audio from the HDMI signal to give me 5.1 when using the projector.  Using decent splitters and cables I'm not losing any quality despite multiple splits and long cable runs.

That's a pretty impressive setup.  I would love to have done something like that but took the lazy way and just got an aerial along with a couple of Fire sticks and Now TV boxes for the other two TVs.  

0 Kudos
Wildcard36
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you everyone. I have bought MULTI-ROOM HDMI EXTENDER KIT FOR VIRGIN TIVO EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO VIEW IN ANOT from ebay. I will give this and various other things a try to see what works.

0 Kudos