Menu
Basil1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using Tivo with a satellite dish

Can I just connect my new Tivo box to the cable coming from a satellite dish installed by the person who owned my house before me? i.e. do I have to have a virgin cable into the house or not?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Using Tivo with a satellite dish

You can do a self-install for an additional service, but you only get a splitter & 2 x 3 metres of made up coax. So unless you want the new kit next to the existing, its an engineer install required.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

...and I didn't say you had acquired it, other than through Virgin Media by self-install. You shouldn't have been sent a self-install pack if you made it clear that you wanted to install in a room without an existing Virgin Media cable connection point.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the tivo is not a satellite box, how did you get a tivo if you don't have a Virgin cable into your house?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would think the OP does not have anything at the moment.

Firstly use the postcode checker to make sure there is Virgin ducting installed in your street.

If your address comes up as serviceable, you should be able to place an order. If as you state, there is not a Virgin cable already installed then you will not be able to take the self-install option. An install technician will bring your TiVO & install all the cabling required to use the Virgin service.

https://my.virginmedia.com/discover/welcome/get-set-up/during-installation.html 

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, I think I know what's going on, having read the OP's other thread.

He is a Virgin Media customer with broadband and has acquired (wrongly) a TiVo for self-install and has no co-ax outlet in the room where the TV is.

To the OP - call Virgin Media and arrange an engineer install. The engineer will install the appropriate cabling.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can do a self-install for an additional service, but you only get a splitter & 2 x 3 metres of made up coax. So unless you want the new kit next to the existing, its an engineer install required.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Basil1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

OK, I think I know what's going on, having read the OP's other thread.

He is a Virgin Media customer with broadband and has acquired (wrongly) a TiVo for self-install and has no co-ax outlet in the room where the TV is.

To the OP - call Virgin Media and arrange an engineer install. The engineer will install the appropriate cabling.

Actually, I have acquired the Tivo legitimately.  It's just that the room with the TV in is at the opposite end of the house, and on a different floor to the cable incoming box, approx. 10m away. I was just exploring any ways in which I can avoid having to have the incoming cable extended, and I have now booked an engineer to install/extend the existing cabling.

Thanks everyone for your comments and assistance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

...and I didn't say you had acquired it, other than through Virgin Media by self-install. You shouldn't have been sent a self-install pack if you made it clear that you wanted to install in a room without an existing Virgin Media cable connection point.

Basil1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. Actually, I thought it would be easy to install, not realising that I needed a Virgin cable point in the room with the TV. I somehow thought it was all part of having a wi-fi router.  Anyway, Virgin are coming along tomorrow to sort out the cabling. My fault for having my incoming cable point at the opposite end of the house!  It's going to cost me £100 now but I wasn't intending to upgrade to TV when I had the original cabling led to the house.  I think I shall stick to fishing - at least I know what is involved!!!

0 Kudos