Menu
rhidragon
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Using TiVo without virgin connection

Is it possible to use my TiVo box without it being hooked up to the virgin cable?

Asking because I am waiting for my services to be connected at my new address in 2 weeks time and I have a load of programmes recorded on the TiVo that I could do with catching up with. 

0 Kudos
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using TiVo without virgin connection

you should be able to watch stuff you've previously recorded, as i could one time when my cable failed,  but obviously wont be able to watch any live TV, see listings etc. (LOL the Tivo will probably seem 'quick' like that!)

(you could try undoing the cable and powering it off &  on again before you move just to try first if you wanted to check it)

0 Kudos
rhidragon
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately cannot check it as already moved. 

The TiVo box is plugged in to the tv and I've tried powering it up... All I am getting is the starting up screen and a flashing red light and a constant blue light. Nothing else is happening. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Tom41
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid that without a connection to the cable network, the box will not be able to start up at all no matter how long you leave it, so there's no way to watch recorded shows. We had that problem when service was down in our area - after resetting the box, it just got stuck.
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, offline playback will work as long as the box stays running... but once you've turned it off (kinda essential if moving house!) it won't be able to reboot without a Virgin network connection. There is no fail-safe boot option that loads the TiVo in playback only mode. Another brilliant win for the software team's forward-thinking department.

Andre

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

andrewilley wrote:

Yes, offline playback will work as long as the box stays running... but once you've turned it off (kinda essential if moving house!) it won't be able to reboot without a Virgin network connection. There is no fail-safe boot option that loads the TiVo in playback only mode. Another brilliant win for the software team's forward-thinking department.

Andre

When you consider that your contract with Virgin only permits use of their equipment at the premises where the account is held, its not surprising. This prevents people taking their box away, say to another house they own that is off the network.  When the account is set up at the new address, the box will then boot & you can access your programmes once more. Connecting a box before the account has changed will result in the network seeing the box on a different part of the network to what it should be (unless you are within a few 100 metres) & the box will be disabled.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
ASHMARK
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What you say about the licence being on that premises only, makes sense nodrogd,

But what also makes sense is that when the service goes down it would be really good to have the option to watch recorded programmes.. The last few times the service goes off I have tried to reboot to see if it reconnects and I lose the use of TIVO all together making it very frustrating that you can not watch anything.

So it would be good if you could watch recordings with out being connected, especially if you are not on the fiddle (like most people) and the service is down, so Andrew does have a valid point.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's a buy product of clamping down on illegal sale & use of boxes by criminals. There was a time when you could operate the TiVO without a network connection (something you could never do with a V+). But with the boxes now cardless, the network connection is even more important.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Another issue is that Sky require Virgin Media to block playback of recordings where they are from a channel that isn't part of your subscription e.g. where you no longer subscribe to Sky Movies.

If the TiVo box can't talk to Virgin Media for whatever reason during startup, it can't get your channel subscription level, so can't confirm you're authorised to play those recordings.

You can still playback recordings if you haven't rebooted as TiVo will remember for a period of time that you have a valid subscription.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos