Menu
nickkemp
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Use Ethernet instead of cable modem

I have serious issue with being able to record programs and then play them without them being all pixelated., Also the getting the planner to update is also sometimes impossible. This has been diagnosed as bad connection back to the central hub. I first logged this fault in September and am still waiting for a fix.

My tivo boxes are connected to the Super Hub using power line adapters so i was wondering why cant the connection back to the central hub be over the ethernet connection rather than then the cable modem.

There is nothing wrong with the upload/download speed to the internet connection.

Thx

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Use Ethernet instead of cable modem

Because that's not how it works. Your TiVo (current generation) has a cable modem built in, but that's just used for catch up etc. It only uses Ethernet for streaming recordings and to be controlled remotely. The TV "signal" is totally separate and goes through a tuner, not the cable modem or Ethernet.

It seems "a liitle odd" that the connection back to VM is suspect, usually you would get TiVo AND broadband affected if you needed, for example, a re-pull of the cable to street drop.

Do you have a fault reference number? Have they been in contact with a proposed date when they ARE going to sort it out?

0 Kudos
nickkemp
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, no i don't have a reference number, all I have is an email from the Cabinet Doctor. I have complained on the phone today as last nights recordings are unusable.

I had an engineer out in the house a few weeks ago and his diagnosis was the level used for catch up service etc were right on the edge that this was what was causing the pixelating issue. On Demand has is very slow sometimes with a weird circle appearing which he said was also related to the slow link.

The signals into the house are fine, he even fitted a few filters to bring it into tolerance.

There is nothing wrong with my broadband at all.

I am totally frustrated.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is it fine when you are watching live TV?

0 Kudos
nickkemp
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes absolutely fine. 

It is only happens to recordings.

From what the engineer told me live tv and recordings work differently.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Okay I'm going to ask staff to take a look at this one. Doesnt sound quite right to me. Smiley Frustrated

Personally I think your TiVo's hard drive is knackered and there's nowt wrong with the power levels, but I may be wrong...

0 Kudos
nickkemp
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The pixelating issue definitely occurs on 2 out of 3 tivo boxes.

1 box continually gets an error when it has lost access to on demand (C130?) and needs rebooting.

1 box occasionally gets the C130 error and then can take over an hour to download the planner again.

I did query the hard disk before but remote testing apparently did discount this.

Thx

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Nickkemp,

Thank you for your message, I'm very sorry to read that there's been some problems with the services in the home. I have been able to run some tests and as suspected, I have identified a few faults with on or more of the boxes in the home. This would need to be looked at by one of our trained engineers. 

If you can have a little look inside your Inbox, you'll see I've sent you a Private Message. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope.

Speak to you soon.
Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos