Menu
Browser01
Superfast
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Update problems

Tivo received the software update last week and since then the o/s has slowed to an unacceptable speed and no longer fully shuts down when switching off.

1/ Button presses cause the dreaded 'black screen effect' whilst tivo works out what to do next. Black screen lasts anywhere between 2-15 seconds.

2/ Switching into standby used to bring up a message on my Samsung tv telling me that there was no signal to the HDMI input. This message no longer appears which indicates that the tivo is still connected to my tv and therefore my wi-fi, and presumably Virgin Media. This could be a security leak to my home broadband and could possibly leave a back door open to VM's network and more worryingly to data on my wi-fi connected devices through my open tv/tivo gateway.

Thinking that a re-boot might help the tivo was switched off and the first thing I noticed was the usual notice on my tv telling me that there was NO SIGNAL TO HDMI INPUT. Which proves the point that without a complete power down the connection remains open which should be a worry to us all.

After the full re-boot the o/s is still much slower than before this 'revolutionary upgrade'. Tivo remains the most outdated, chunky, and by far the slowest technology in our home.

I have also found that the permissions on my existing series links have again been changed from my manual setting of KUID to when the tivo o/s thinks it needs to interfere. Was that really necessary?

No doubt there will be some who think that this 'upgrade'(?) is wonderful and state of the art but if this is actually the best VM can manage I am still nowhere close to being impressed. B     : (

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Update problems

Hi Browser01,

Thanks for coming by and offering your feedback on the update.

I'm sorry that you're not happy with some of the changes so far.  I wanted to check things out for you anyway to see if there's any underlying issues that may be causing things to slow down.

Currently there is some high demand on the network which will affect Menu navigation, On Demand and Apps.  This has already been escalated to our network engineering teams to work on but may take some time to resolve.  We're expecting an update by the 10th August 16 so if things haven't improved speed wise by then, feel free to give us a shout and request an update.  The reference number for this is: F003961990.

Things should be much improved via the update, as there's high demand in the network your TiVo® is connected to this will slow things down at times so ti will be difficult to see any changes here until this is resolved.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience this causes.

In regards to the other point you raised where you no longer get the 'No Signal to HDMI Input' message when box goes into standby, it's worth checking the power saving options and see what it is set to.  

Help & Settings > Settings > Devices > Power Saving Settings 

What is it currently set to?  

In regards to the No Signal to HDMI Input message not popping up as normal this wouldn't have any impact to your Broadband or other devices.  As long as your WiFi settings are set securely then this shouldn't be an issue.  However as WiFi isn't really my area it may be worth asking about our WiFi security measures here: Networking and wireless if you have any concerns.

By all means keeps the feedback coming and if you have any queries, please don’t’ hesitate to ask.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Update problems

Hi Collette after a crawling start box is now sort of behaving tho' I seem to be spending noticably more time waiting for the black screen to connect. 

Power savings as per normal set to off.

My security worries are that my sammy smart tv also stays in stand-by mode and can be wi-fi accessed remotely via android tablets and ipad & iphone. I know that these devices and others attempting to access my network, are locked down under my tight security and are no threat. Tivo however will not uncouple its dedicated connection to the system without a full power down. This could give the tivo and therefore vm access to sweep, my otherwise secure network, for data and identifiable information.

To be honest there isn't much to find that would be of much use, but we are all being advised to be ultra-security minded in our dealing with banking details, internet accounts, passwords etc.,  Murphy's Law: if it can happen sooner or later it will happen.

As this is not strictly an internet issue I thought somebody should point this out to the tivo team and possibly/hopefully get some reassurance from other, more computer savvy members of the forum. B

0 Kudos