Menu
JohnWMentor
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unusual Noises from TiVo Box

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed my TiVo box has been making some quiet-but-noticeable noises every few seconds. They sound a lot like the kind of noises any other internal/external hard-drive (like for a laptop) would make (whirring and clicking), especially as it comes off standby. However, it seems to make them even when I'm not using it or when it's not even recording anything.

I know this is probably nothing major, but I've only had the box for just over a month. It was a replacement for another TiVo box, which had been running slower and having other problems. The weird thing is that the old box never made any noises whatsoever and I'd had that for almost ten years!

If anyone could help, please, I would be very grateful.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unusual Noises from TiVo Box

Hi JohnWMentor,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with a noisy TiVo®.

If you can hear the TiVo® box over your regular viewing then we'll need to get a technician to take a look at it. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

All TiVo boxes, when out of standby, constantly records to buffer channels to allow for rewinding a program or pausing a program. All three tuners on TiVo and all six tuners in V6.

JohnWMentor
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's OK if the TiVo box is meant to be constantly updating/recording/buffering. But the main issue is the noises the box makes. As I said in the original post, I'd had my previous box for many years and it never made any noise whatsoever. I would've noticed if it did.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi JohnWMentor,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with a noisy TiVo®.

If you can hear the TiVo® box over your regular viewing then we'll need to get a technician to take a look at it. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out