Menu
rockfordstone
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unlinking TIVO remote from my TV?

Evening guys.

We had virgin media and TIVO installed yesterday, and when setting up my box, he tuned the remote to work on my TV too.

Unfortunately, whilst the remote turns the TV off and manages the volume, it doesn't turn it on or do other functions, so I still need to use 2 remotes to change from TIVO to the playstation or to turn the TV on for example.

I assume there a way i can unlink the TV from the TIVO remote, but is that function going to be built into the TV box or the TV?

Other than that, enjoying the service so far. Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unlinking TIVO remote from my TV?

Have you tried a long press of the Standby button, until the LED on the remote goes green (to turn your TV on or off)?

Have you tried a long press of the Text button (to change Source on your TV)?

0 Kudos
rockfordstone
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i can bring the source change up, but i still need to use the tv remote to change it. same with turning on and off, a long press will turn it off, but it won't switch it on, so effectively, i need 2 remotes to control the tv at the moment, and would rather just use the tv remote and leave the tivo remote to control tivo, if that makes sense?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

you wont need to do anything to forget the tv. just use the tivo remote for the tivo and your tv for the tv.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

rockfordstone wrote:

i can bring the source change up, but i still need to use the tv remote to change it. same with turning on and off, a long press will turn it off, but it won't switch it on, so effectively, i need 2 remotes to control the tv at the moment, and would rather just use the tv remote and leave the tivo remote to control tivo, if that makes sense?

If a long press turns your TV off, a long press should turn it in - it certainly does for me.

Once accessing your TV Source, have you tried a second long press of the Text button?

I do agree with @apcyberax - you don't need to reset the TiVo remote to operate with two remotes as you seem to want to do.

0 Kudos
TheRazzaG
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To answer your question more directly, pull the batteries out for a minute, see if that does the trick. On a side note, Ernie, my text button long press doesn't even register a green blink. :/
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TheRazzaG wrote:
To answer your question more directly, pull the batteries out for a minute, see if that does the trick. On a side note, Ernie, my text button long press doesn't even register a green blink. :/

With my Samsung TV, the first long press of the Text button gives a green LED and a Source list. Subsequent long presses of Text cycles through the TV's Sources.

0 Kudos
Bingley
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Same for myself, tivo remote will only turn my tv off  but will not turn it back on, so we still have to use 2 remotes. 

0 Kudos
TheRazzaG
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you guys had a look at the Pinned Topic regarding programming tiVo remotes? There may be multiple codes for your brand of TV, some of the codes will only partially work whereas one usually does the trick. There are also instructions in there to reset your remotes.
0 Kudos