Menu
Highlighted
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Understanding the Cost of Adding a Second Box?

I currently have the full house package with sky cinema channels in hd with one V6 box (1TB). I am also a phone (call weekends) and broadand (vivid 200) customer. 

I am seriously considering getting a second box for another location in the house, but this is very much dependant on cost as I don't want to significantly increase the monthly cost, if at all possible, but am ok with some upfront cost for the price of the box. To keep costs down I would imagine I would be better off having a second box as an old Tivo rather than another V6? 

Anyway the purpose of this thread is to get an idea of how much I would have to pay both initially upfront and what it would add to the monthly cost of my package? To keep costs down I would take self install for the Tivo.

Also could someone advise whether my current package (full house + sky cinema hd) would grant me any discount on the standard cost of a second box? as I have in the past heard reports of customers on higher packages getting a second box heavily reduced, occasionally even free.  

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Understanding the Cost of Adding a Second Box?

Try again when you reach the end of your current contract or when the next price increase is announced.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi MrRetro

Many thanks for popping by with your query about having an additional TiVo® box with us and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

The costs you have quoted are correct for a second TiVo® box. The costs have not long dropped from the previous pricing structure which was £49.95 for connection and install of the additional boxes and then £6.50 per month for the additional box and £5 per month for the TiVo® subscription.

We have recently changed the pricing structure on this making the installation of a second box £14.99 for activation only, and then £7.50 per month, removing the TiVo® monthly fee so as a customer you are already getting a much better deal now on this as an option for you Smiley Very Happy

The V+ boxes are no longer being offered within our packages as they are legacy boxes. We of course will support existing customers with those boxes but we do not supply them as additional boxes for any existing or new customers taking on an additional box with us.

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your post and let us know if you need anything else.

Take care.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos

All Replies
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is an extra monthly cost for a second box. Not sure if an old Tivo would be cheaper per month or just have a lower up front cost. It should be cheaper because its performance can be described as irritatingly and slow at best.

I think your best bet would be to call the thinking of leaving us team between 9 and 5 Monday to Friday. They are UK based and can often be more knowledgeable and flexible in what they can offer. You don't need to be wanting to leave.
0 Kudos
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I checked today and for a Tivo it is a one off cost of £15, which is fine but also a fixed monthly cost of £7.50 extra, which unfortunately is just a little too much for me, had £5 in my mind as the most I would want to add to my monthly bill. 

I asked about the possibility of an older box like the V+ but they said those were discontinued and that my existing subscription would not entitle me to any discount on the monthly cost, it's £7.50 for everyone it seems. 

Bit disappointing but I am already on a good deal with my existing package so I suppose it was understandable they couldn't do anything to make a second box cheaper....

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try again when you reach the end of your current contract or when the next price increase is announced.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi MrRetro

Many thanks for popping by with your query about having an additional TiVo® box with us and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

The costs you have quoted are correct for a second TiVo® box. The costs have not long dropped from the previous pricing structure which was £49.95 for connection and install of the additional boxes and then £6.50 per month for the additional box and £5 per month for the TiVo® subscription.

We have recently changed the pricing structure on this making the installation of a second box £14.99 for activation only, and then £7.50 per month, removing the TiVo® monthly fee so as a customer you are already getting a much better deal now on this as an option for you Smiley Very Happy

The V+ boxes are no longer being offered within our packages as they are legacy boxes. We of course will support existing customers with those boxes but we do not supply them as additional boxes for any existing or new customers taking on an additional box with us.

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your post and let us know if you need anything else.

Take care.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Polocanthus
Just joined
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

... or use the Virgin app on a computer. 

0 Kudos
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to bump an old thread but I just wanted to see if anything had changed in the six months or so since I first posted? 

What prompted me to post again is I noticed that Virgin are currently running a box upgrade for £20 one off fee offer as here: https://keepup.virginmedia.com/box-swap-v6?buspart=uk_afl_a_cable_na_na_trade_direct_Skimlinks_gener... anyone know if there is any chance if I ask politely Smiley Happy I could perhaps get this offer applied for a second V6 box? With the one off fee down to £20, I'd be happy to pay the £7.50 extra monthly fee...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Polocanthus, 

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

It's always best to speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 as they can look at the best way to add on a second box. Depending on the packages available it could work out more beneficial for you Smiley Happy

Let us know how the call goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
MrRetro
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tried to call them today but it was a waste of time. The guy I spoke to was insistent it was £70 because I needed an engineer visit, despite me explaining I already had a perfectly good outlet for the second box and was more than capable of running a few cables. He said there was no way to process it as a self install? Nevermind, will just have to try again tomorrow and hope I get someone a bit more flexible...

AliC
Settling in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I saw the post about changing monthly subscription from £5 +£6.50 to a single monthly payment of £7.50.  The adviser I spoke to a couple of hours ago said this was for new customers only and insisted that I would have to pay £11.50 per month.  Is this right, or does it really depend on what mood the advisor’s in?

0 Kudos