Menu
davorg
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Underpowered Tivo Hardware

In the discussion TiVo box really slow lately there are currently almost 30 pages of posts from people complaining that their Tivos are running unacceptably slowly. In the first few pages, you'll see the occasional VM representative popping up and responding to individual complaints by saying that there is a fault on that particular box. When a box is replaced, you'll see reports that the new one runs a bit faster for a day or two before slowing down again.

As far as I can see, it's been weeks since anyone VM posted to that thread. I suspect they're ignoring it.

But there are too many complaints for them all to be put down to individual hardware failures. There is clearly a systematic problem here. And, from all the evidence, the problem is almost certainly that the old Tivo hardware is just not up to the job of running the current version of the software.

There is, of course, some new Tivo hardware on the horizon, but a) it's probably months away and b) there's talk of charging customers to upgrade. And throughout all of this, we're getting regular price increases way above the rate of inflation.

Given all of this, I'd like to ask the VM staff here some simple questions:

• Do you accept that there is a wide-ranging problem with the power of the current Tivo hardware and the requirements of the current software?
  • Are there any projects going on at VM to address this problem?
  • Can you really justify yet another round of price increases given this massive amount of customer dissatisfaction?

I look forward to seeing some answers.

Thanks,

Dave...

@davorg
Former Cable & Wireless and ntl customer
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Underpowered Tivo Hardware

I suspect that they've been ordered to not comment on any of the TiVo software issues.

I have noticed many issues with the software by myself and others and not one of those have been commented on.

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
0 Kudos
Baggers1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well said. The price increases are a joke. The standard reply is they are increasing their broadband speed and coverage. Why are we paying for the 'minority'? The TIVO box software update is a joke - everything is painfully slow! Virgin need to wake up and sort themselves out otherwise they will have a mass walkout from their customers!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Davorg,

Thank you for your comment and posting in the boards. 

I am sorry that the TiVo isn't running as fast for you, its something that we're looking into and whilst we are working on a resolution, we have already posted here.

I hope that this is sorted for everyone soon and please stay in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BenD_H wrote:

Hi Davorg,

Thank you for your comment and posting in the boards. 

I am sorry that the TiVo isn't running as fast for you, its something that we're looking into and whilst we are working on a resolution, we have already posted here.

I hope that this is sorted for everyone soon and please stay in touch.

Ben

The only thing that bothers me more than Virgin producing a fix is Virgin producing a fix.

Virgin's IT record is deplorable and one of the worst aspects is their testing procedures. How could any competent company produce an update like last year's which removed the Dolby Digital feature? And worse, it only affected those with Samsung Tivos, those like myself with Cisco boxes were unaffected. How could the testing process miss that?

And this year, what happened? The slowdown produced by the latest release, how could it not have been noticed? I can only think that there are two possible scenarios.

1. The testing procedures are completely inadequate. Is the test base not wide enough? Do all the testers have perfectly functioning environments so that while the new software works well for them, it falls down as soon as it is released into less than perfect environments, network issues, etc. Given that, while many report issues and VM admit there is a problem, some report no problems at all. Is the testing only done by the latter?

2. The other scenario is that testers, at least some of them, do report problems and these are ignored. If that is the case then the VM management need replacing. Do they talk to one another? Releasing software that you know to be problematic while simultaneously implementing a price rise will produce a guaranteed result. Is it surprising that it is impossible to reach cancellations?

I would suspect that there are members of these forums who know more than they are letting on if the second scenario is the correct one. 

And the palliatives put forward by the forum team? Please stop embarrassing both yourselves and your customers by continuing with this practice. It has been well-documented that these produce,at best, short term reprieves. Deleting recordings, recordings are a core feature, remove suggestions, suggestions are a core feature, etc. Even the advice to reboot the GUI to clear the cache, for God's sake, Tivo is a Linux system. It should be trivial to have a script running from cron to regularly flush the cache rather than getting customers to do it manually.

I think that we deserve better.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!