Menu
klsdorsetuk
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unbearable noisy hard drive

Had Virgin installed on 19th Dec, 2 cisco TiVo boxes, both tv boxes are really noisy, makes an old fashioned hard drive sound clearly audible over tv at normal volume so having to increase volume to hide the noise. Lifting the boxes don't help or trying to muffle the sound, you can physically feel the spinning of the drive. Be good to get some advice as it is uncomfortable listening.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unbearable noisy hard drive

It is an HDD you're hearing - the box uses it to buffer/record.

Where do you have them located? In a TV cabinet?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
klsdorsetuk
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's the hard drive spinning, it's on a tv cabinet but as I said we have tried all suggestions listed on the forums like lifting box, putting something under the boxes so it's not directlyon cabinet but no joy, even when you hold the boxes up you can still hear it, it's both boxes up the 1tb box is louder.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can only assume that the cabinet is acting as a sounding board for the box - I can barely hear mine even when it is on.

It might be worth asking for a replacement, but I fear you may have the same issue.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
klsdorsetuk
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It even does it when lifting and holding the box in the air, it's still tapping/thudding and it's both boxes but just slightly quieter on the smaller hard drive box so it is a hard drive problem whilst it's spinning.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello klsdorsetuk,

Welcome to the community.

I have located your account and I would like to arrange for someone to take a look at this for you so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see another message from me with further details.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos