Menu
craigieboy2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

UHD

For gods sake when is virgin going to broadcast in uhd ?
We are all buying UHD TVs.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: UHD

I think your assertion that we're all buying such TVs is wrong - perhaps a small percentage of customers.

Personally, I'm not convinced of the benefit of such HD as I'm interested more in the content. HD is fine for me.

Whatever happened to 3D TVs? I didn't waste money on one of those.

craigieboy2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Outside of your Wee world Ernie UHD TVs are selling extremely well now that the price has came down. 3D tv is dead.
If you bought a UHD tv and watched 4K content on Netflix you would see why people are buying them. Sky Q is bringing 4K.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

craigieboy2 wrote:
Outside of your Wee world Ernie UHD TVs are selling extremely well now that the price has came down. 3D tv is dead.
If you bought a UHD tv and watched 4K content on Netflix you would see why people are buying them. Sky Q is bringing 4K.

But be very wary about buying UHD TVs just now. Part of the reason the price is coming down is that, since the standard was only agreed last month, TVs produced prior to that may not be fully compatible, particularly with regard to HDR (High Dynamic Range).  Think HD Ready versus Full HD. How many people have an HD TV (HD Ready) and don't realise that they do not actually have HD as it is meant to be.

Because of that, many of us are waiting until the situation is clear about what is supported on any particular UHD TV.

Both Sky and Virgin have been hesitant due to the lack of content. One review of Sky Q I read suggested that it will not provide 4K at launch for just that reason.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Also Virgin is not a broadcaster it's a distributer of TV channels and they would have to broadcast existing UHD channels and there are exactly zero of those with the exception of football matches on BT and I wouldn't call a couple of 90 minute games a week a channel

G4DDS
Rising star
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

craigieboy2 wrote:

But be very wary about buying UHD TVs just now. Part of the reason the price is coming down is that, since the standard was only agreed last month, TVs produced prior to that may not be fully compatible, particularly with regard to HDR (High Dynamic Range).  Think HD Ready versus Full HD. How many people have an HD TV (HD Ready) and don't realise that they do not actually have HD as it is meant to be.

Because of that, many of us are waiting until the situation is clear about what is supported on any particular UHD TV.

Both Sky and Virgin have been hesitant due to the lack of content. One review of Sky Q I read suggested that it will not provide 4K at launch for just that reason.

There was an article on one of the technology sites just a few weeks ago which said that 2015 was a bad year to buy a UHD capable TV as the majority did not meet the new standards (and would unlikely to be able to be made standards compliant with firmware updates as fundamentally it was the physical chipset/hardware used which was unable to support the standard).

I'm glad I didn't buy a 3D TV and shall wait at least a couple of years to see what is happening with UHD content etc. before splashing out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
sidsewell
Dialled in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Amazon prime have 4k content. Just saying. :-)

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Netflix have some 4K - but the only broadcaster doing anything is BT.

BT Sports channel carries 1 football match a week (occasionally 2) and that's it. And lots of their subscribers can not get it because a lot of BT's lines can not support the speeds required for the UHD stream.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
scruffer04
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Youtube also have some 4K content
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes - some of the Youtube stuff streams at 60mb - which again is unavailable to lots of customers using BT cabling.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos