Menu
Essex52
Dialled in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

UHD 4K TV's can only display standard picture mode because Tivo Box is not 4K ready!

I recently purchased a brand new LG 49UH668V Smart 4k Ultra HD HDR 49 LED TV, believing that it would display a fantastic picture quality. But I was appalled to learn from Currys today that the reason the TV is only displaying standard picture quality is because Virgin Media's Tivo box is NOT 4K ready!!!

So I am absolutely gutted to realise that I have just wasted about £200 by buying an Ultra High Definition 4K TV, when I would have got the same quality pictures from a bog-standard LED TV! And I just wanted to warn all Virgin Media customers, to prevent them making the same very costly mistake.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: UHD 4K TV's can only display standard picture mode because Tivo Box is not 4K ready!

Essex52 wrote:
Frank, Currys technical advice may not be very good - but were they not right when they said the current Tivo box cannot display 4K?
Yes they were correct about that but VM have never claimed otherwise.  I would suggest that a TV salesman should have a minimum understanding of the  types of set top boxes available to connect to a TV.  That does not mean that they have much technical knowledge.

Also, whilst I accept that the TV I bought is probably an older 4K one and that 4K TVs will improve and come down in price over time, I do not accept that an older 4K TV cannot be purchased for about £200 more than a standard TV. Unless you are suggesting the LG are falsely claiming that their TVs are 4K when they are not and displaying technical specifications which are a complete lie?

I am aware that TVs can currently be purchased that are 4K-Ready but see my comment above about HD-Ready versus Full HD.  4K is in its infancy at the moment but TV manufacturers have new TV models to sell and 3D is now old-hat.

I would consider buying a 4K TV premature at the moment. Current non-4K models can be picked up for a song and would do as a stop-gap until the 4K market has matured. Your extra £200 would have been better spent on one of those, in my opinion. I recently bought my son a 40" LED TV for less than that. It is not a Smart TV but does the job for his room, for viewing, Now TV and Fire Stick, playing games on his PS4 and laptop and it has an excellent Full HD picture. Cheap enough to be replaced as required. Who needs a Smart TV when you can plug any box in.

There is currently a lack of both fully standards compliant, reasonably-priced, 4K TVs and material to watch. See dannylau's comments above.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
WildWayz
Up to speed
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: UHD 4K TV's can only display standard picture mode because Tivo Box is not 4K ready!

I think this is part of the confusion....

The Tivo box will output to 1080i/1080p (Think it supports 1080i for broadcasting) - the TV has an upscaler built in (quality is dependent of the TV) which takes the 1920x1080i (HD) image and upscales it to 4K (or 3860 x 2160 to be precise). 

It'll look fine but not be a 4K image. I use it on my normal VHD box in my man cave (Samsung UE48JU6400 4K HDR TV).

I can't think of any/many 4K channels at the moment due to the amount of broadcast space they need - a sports channel or two, and a movie channel?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Its all a bit of a premature debate. As has been mentioned.

Whilst the new V6 box VM launch soon is 4K ready- so far the content VM provide is NOT. VM are one of the few that can put their hands up and say "not my fault guvnor" as they dont produce content themselves- If I was a SKY Q customer who paid for the upgrade and the new TV and wanted 4K content Id be pretty miffed right now. Unless I liked footie. And thought that, on its own, it was worth the upgrade price.

I dont see any mention of the specifics of 4K content in this thread so Ill put it out there- Sports, both BT and SKY are producing some 4K content. Movies , SKY have a (very) few. Amazon have a bit more, NETFLIX is where its at for 4K movies ATM.

Broadcast TV in 4K (other than sports)= none that I know of. Likely because the broadcast standard hasn't been agreed yet. Got to be some 4K channels on a satellite somewhere surely anyone care to enlighten?

So whilst the nice man in Currys could offer some "technical" advice, it seems a little....well "less than technical"

All Replies
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The TVO boxes were out long before 4k was even announced, so they would never be ready for a technology not invented. However the new box due to be released next monthish is 4k ready. I would guess, as with sky it will be an additional cost though.
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

And how much 4K tv is actually broadcast? Not much. You just have to sit and wait for it to be made and the new v6 box to prove it can show it 

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Two things amuse me about the first post.

Firstly, the thought that Currys could provide any technical advice is laughable. Against my advice my daughter bought a laptop from them and, when it went wrong, their attempts at providing a technical solution were beyond a joke.

Secondly, the thought that a 4K capable TV would only cost £200 more than a standard TV is amusing. Since the standards were only agreed recently I suspect that the shops are trying to get the early model 4K TVs off their hands before most people realise what is happening.

Any 4K TV meeting the required standards is almost certainly still at the higher end of the price range so yes, I suspect that, regardless of the Virgin V6 or the Sky Q, you have probably wasted your money.

Reminds me of HD-Ready versus Full HD.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

Two things amuse me about the first post.

Firstly, the thought that Currys could provide any technical advice is laughable. Against my advice my daughter bought a laptop from them and, when it went wrong, their attempts at providing a technical solution were beyond a joke.

Secondly, the thought that a 4K capable TV would only cost £200 more than a standard TV is amusing. Since the standards were only agreed recently I suspect that the shops are trying to get the early model 4K TVs off their hands before most people realise what is happening.

Any 4K TV meeting the required standards is almost certainly still at the higher end of the price range so yes, I suspect that, regardless of the Virgin V6 or the Sky Q, you have probably wasted your money.

Reminds me of HD-Ready versus Full HD.

Actually the standards are still in flux and any TV bought this year is probably going to not reach the full standard that will/may emerge at some point next year

Hybrid Log-Gamma is yet to be implemented on any TV, dynamic metadata is still a work in progress unless they decide to go for Dolby vision where it's already set up, but the only TV's that run Dolby ATM are the LG OLED's

sidsewell
Dialled in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Amazon Prime has some 4k content and if you have a new Samsung it's included as a Smart app (you do need a Prime subscription).

0 Kudos
Essex52
Dialled in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks james. I realised the current Tivo box has been out for years - but I didn't realise it would only display standard definition, when Virgin offer extra High Definition channels at extra cost. And yes, I'm sure you're right in saying the new box probably will come at additional cost :/
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

You have misunderstood. All current Virgin Media set top boxes, including TiVo, support HD, otherwise how could anyone watch the many HD channels available?

0 Kudos
Essex52
Dialled in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Oh, thanks. I should have realised that programmes had to be broadcast in 4K for the TV to display it at 4K seeing as their are SD and HD channels but I must admit I didn't ....
0 Kudos
Essex52
Dialled in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Frank, Currys technical advice may not be very good - but were they not right when they said the current Tivo box cannot display 4K?

Also, whilst I accept that the TV I bought is probably an older 4K one and that 4K TVs will improve and come down in price over time, I do not accept that an older 4K TV cannot be purchased for about £200 more than a standard TV. Unless you are suggesting the LG are falsely claiming that their TVs are 4K when they are not and displaying technical specifications which are a complete lie?
0 Kudos