Menu
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Two boxes, both exhibiting the same programme being recorded twice phenomenon?

So Friday night, I noted that my TiVo ("Richards") had recorded Virtually Famous from channel 4 HD twice (although based on other stuff recording at the same time it would have only used one tuner) which I thought was a bit odd but as my box is playing up (recordings freezing and skipping etc. - engineer coming out on Wednesday) I put it down to that.

Note: Virtually Famous set as a series link.

Tonight however, I decided to set a one-off recording on the Living Room TiVo to record the WRC highlights from BT Sport (due to my box getting worse). Imagine my surprise when the Living Room box exhibited the same phenomenon (image taken from Manage My TiVo):

Capture.PNG

Both boxes are set-up so suggestions are not recorded and neither have any wishlists set-up which would catch the rallying or Virtually Famous.

Seems a little odd that two different boxes exhibit the same phenomenon with different programmes and different channels and different set up (i.e. series link vs one-off). I wonder what's going on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two boxes, both exhibiting the same programme being recorded twice phenomenon?

Hi Richard,

I would certainly question this as well because this shouldn't be happening on two different boxes. Are each of these complete recordings or does one stop and the next one pick up where the last one stopped? The time stamp indicates the recorded at the same time--which would mean two tuners are recording the same channel/programme--and this shouldn't be happening.

I have noted this on your account for the engineer visit later today to make sure to check this on both TiVo boxes.

I'll check back with you after the appointment to see how things are going.

Thanks,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two boxes, both exhibiting the same programme being recorded twice phenomenon?

Hi Terri,

On Tuesday, I had a bit more time (and access to the Living Room box) to check out what was happening.

Starting with the Living Room box it did indeed have a split recording as you suggest and it was in two halves with a few minutes missing in the middle. There was no hiccup message associated with why this happened and at the time the recording was happening Live TV was being watched with nothing else recording (except for the rallying) and nothing unusual happened.

Incidentally I always thought that when there was a partial recording that it actually put "partial recording " in the title of the recording so it was identifiable? Maybe I have dreamt that or got confused with something else but that was why when I was looking at the recordings on Manage My TiVo it looked as though the show had recorded twice.

Concerning Virtually Famous as you know this box was replaced yesterday due to a failing hard disk but before it was taken I watched the recording. I must correct myself when I said it had recorded the same showing twice however what it had done is even more confusing.

The first recording was from Channel 4 HD which I have a series link for but the second duplicate recording was from C4+1 and happened an hour later. Note that I do not have a series link setup for C4+1 and I remember checking my schedule Friday evening and there was definitely only one schedule episode of  Virtually Famous.

Checking the hiccups is interesting because it stated that the Channel 4 HD failed because it was "Not Available - No Longer in Guide". This message is similar to what you get when a back-to-back recording fails due to a service connection as I note here from a thread ages ago:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Back2Back-Recording-Failed-Old-bug-re-...

Here though we did not have a back-to-back on Channel 4 HD but perhaps there was a network connection and there is some very minor timing issue that is very rare and causes it to think the programme is no longer in the guide? This however does not explain the C4+1 recording as if it thought the recording on Channel 4 HD was no longer in the guide it would try and reschedule it on Channel 4 HD only (remember it's a series link as opposed to a wishlist) and series links can't jump channels.

All in all, it's very confusing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
GarethF
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Series links will jump channels IF a program was scheduled to record, drops off that channel and moves to another channel. It won't move if a series link habitually moves between channels. Happened to me the other week when Bowie died. Inside Out moved from BBC1 on Monday to BBC2 on the Weds. 

If we ever get this bad boy .... https://www.tivo.com/onepass we won't need series links on multiple channels.....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi G4DDS,

Normally the TiVo will pick up recordings over all channels if it's recording from the Wish List, but not from a Series Link or a manually set recording.

Did you have Virtually Famous (or Kevin McHale, Seann Walsh or Chris Stark) set in your Wish List?

Thanks,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Terri_P wrote:

Hi G4DDS,

Normally the TiVo will pick up recordings over all channels if it's recording from the Wish List, but not from a Series Link or a manually set recording.

Did you have Virtually Famous (or Kevin McHale, Seann Walsh or Chris Stark) set in your Wish List?

Thanks,

Terri

No, I don't have any wishlists setup with specific actors just with title keywords (and none of them would catch Virtually Famous).

0 Kudos