Menu
Frankj
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tv Coaxial cable length reduction

Everyone seems to want to extend their coaxial cable from tivo box to the wall, I'm exactly the opposite.

My Tive box is less that a metre away from the outlet on the wall (internet stuff is in other room) The tv cable from the outlet on the wall to the tivo box has yards and yards of excess cable, probably about 5 yards or more currently coiled up. Can I shorten this ?

If so how do I remove the connector on the cable that screws into the tivo box and replace it again, is there a tutorial anywhere.

If it is frowned upon by the powers that be how much would virging charge to come and do the deed for me. I have just redecorated my living room and the missus is pestering me to do something about it.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tv Coaxial cable length reduction

what's your good lady's pain threshold when it comes to folding money? VM will want £99 to come out and do the deed.

it's generally frowned upon to do it yourself as any mis-cabling on your part could result in noise being introduced on your network segment should you short out the inner core and the external shielding (of which there's, iirc, a couple of layers) and the ends are usually heftily crimped as opposed to the standard f-type twist connectors used on Sky cabling.

i'd keep an eye out for any local VM tech work being carried out nearby and offer coffee/tea/chocolate digestives and they might be prepared to part with a shorter cable.

All Replies
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

what's your good lady's pain threshold when it comes to folding money? VM will want £99 to come out and do the deed.

it's generally frowned upon to do it yourself as any mis-cabling on your part could result in noise being introduced on your network segment should you short out the inner core and the external shielding (of which there's, iirc, a couple of layers) and the ends are usually heftily crimped as opposed to the standard f-type twist connectors used on Sky cabling.

i'd keep an eye out for any local VM tech work being carried out nearby and offer coffee/tea/chocolate digestives and they might be prepared to part with a shorter cable.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Also removing a hefty chunk of cabling from the install will increase the downstream signal level to the box & could send it out of tolerance, resulting in adjustments at the street cabinet, or a downstream path attenuator being required.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Frankj
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys, I guess it will be getting left until I stock up on choccy biscuits and hope a VM guy appears in the street. 99 smackeroonies to snip a cable and replace a connector sounds like a rip off to me. I thought plumber prices were badSmiley LOL

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The connectors just screw on. You might need a small spanner but don't force it. If you are not competent to make up a cable you can buy them cheaply enough in many places and 3 or 4 meters isn't going to affect the levels if you do it properly. Can't see that being any worse than trying to bribe an employee to "lose" company property for something not accountable on a job sheet.

This user has left the community.
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos