Menu
Philbassman1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tv Anywhere on mobile phone

Hi, please can someone from Virgin Media explain to me why (when using my the TVAnywhere App on my Android phone) that only a small handful of all the channels listed on the Menu/Channel Guide actually have an option to 'Watch on Phone' (even when my phone is connected via Wifi on my VM Superhub at home !). Also, even when some (very few !) of the channels do give a 'Watch on phone' option, i often find that when i select it, a message is displayed saying 'can't stream this channel due to Restrictions'. Also, why can't i access/watch any programmes i've previously recorded on my Tivo 'MyShows' facility (i.e. all i seem to be able to do from my phone is to schedule or delete programmes for recording, but not actually be able to 'watch' any of them from my phone. In short, the so-called 'TVAnywhere' app is virtually useless on a phone (even via home VM Wifi !), and should be rebranded as 'TVNowhere' !
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tv Anywhere on mobile phone

You can only watch channels that the broadcasters agree to allow you to you cannot watch your recordings because that would entail a different agreement and the tivo has a maximum upload of 1meg and that's too slow

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Depending on your TV package, there are over 100 channels you can watch using TV Anywhere when connected to WiFi, including all Sky Sports and Sky Cinema channels (with the appropriate Sky app).

But there is no reason to have streaming of +1 or other time-shift channels, and streaming is from the SD version of a channel, so the HD versions won't be available either.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Philbassman1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies so far, but there's still a fundamental issue i don't fully understand here.

I can understand that certain channels may not have a 'watch on phone' option on the TVanywhere app (due to licensing issues, though more about that below), but some of the channels 'do' show a 'watch on phone' option, yet when i click on the option, i then get a screen saying 'channel unavailable due to restrictions'.

The whole issue of restrictions when using the TVAnywhere app via a laptop or phone remains baffling to me anyway, and seems to defeat the whole point of providing the app in the first place..i.e. if you're a VM customer who has licensed access to all the channels via the Tivo/TV, but want to temporarily access and watch these channels from a different device for convenience (i.e. using laptop or phone in a different room in the house ,instead of using your TV set) ,for convenience, then why shouldn't you be able to use the App to do so (i.e. you're still using the same channel license, but just displaying on a different display device ! ) Seems absoltel zero point in providing an app (called TV Anywhere) if it doesn't actually let you do just that !
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There are certain programs on some channels where the owner of that program has not licensed it for streaming, even though that channel would normally be available for streaming, this is why you get message you are asking about. Blame the slightly out of date attitudes of some TV companies.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Philbassman1,

Thank you for coming in and posting your message.

I would like to help and please can you tell me if you have been able to reinstall the app and then retry, or maybe try this on a different device so we can identify the channels or content that you are trying to watch? 

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos