Menu
liswill123
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Trying to leave but trapped in contract

My sister recently left her partner whereby she paid for the virgin. She has since been paying the virgin bill in her name but is stuck in a contract, including sky sports, meaning her bill is very expensive.

Is there any way that Virgin would let her out of her contract due to extenuating circumstances?

Thanks in advance.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Trying to leave but trapped in contract

Very unfortunately I doubt it. She could always ring and ask but I suspect the answer would be a contracts a contract. She should ask the exact amount tha she would need to pay to cancel to see if she can afford it. 

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...

0 Kudos
liswill123
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The contract is not a new contract, it is after the initial 18 months has been up and it is just rolling onto the next one.

Any difference?
0 Kudos
ASHMARK
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My suggestion is she phones 150 and talks it through with them, explaining her personal circumstances. I know that's uncomfortable but once they hear the truth of it all they are likely to be sympathetic at least and may give good advice -this must happen a lot, sadly.

At the very least she might be able to reduce the services provided, so opt out of sky sports, maybe even some of the phone options if she has any, reduce broadband -In other words, if they won't cancel the whole contract, ask what the absolute minimum is she has to pay.

Also, at the end of the conversation, once they've agreed what she has to pay, find out when the contract is up and give the notice to quit so she can get out of it all asap.

NB: They will need to get the equipment back at the end so there might be a problem with that if they or she have no access to the new place, but ask and see what they say.

She could also ask if she can move the contract to her new place if she wants to carry on in a new place.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think (but don't quote me) that if the initial contract is up and it's rolling then she can give notice with no penalty. 

She needs to ring and find out. Then comes the problem of returning the equipment. It belongs to VM and they'll want it back. 

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If the initial contract is up and she is just rolling month to month then I do believe you can end immediately.
If still in contract they will listen to her case and quite possibly knock down some services to help with the situation.

I'm pretty sure you could at least stop Sky Sports but may have to give 30 days notice
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

if its a rolling contract in that she has been with them 12 or 18 months from install and she has not changed anything over that period which would have just started the contract clock again then all she needs to do is give 30 days notice - a call to retentions will give you/her all the facts

if she finds she is still in contract she can reduce services and hence reduce the bill or buy out any remaining time left on the contract - the maximum charge is £240 i believe

but as stated above the people to talk to is retentions

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos