Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Transferring recordings

Yes I know this can't be done at present, but the question is could it be done.

Since the V6 came out there have been quite a few people, myself included facing the dilemma of loosing recordings if we want to upgrade.

The common argument against is that the tivo is not an archiving device.

1stly why have a device that can record hundreds of hours of shows.
2ndly its not really about loosing archived material, I lead a busy life, so sometimes I'll be a few weeks behind in a series, maybe have a couple of films which looked interesting but haven't had a chance to see etc. And the problem is that while you try to catch up on those you fall behind on others so I never really get fully up to date.

Anyway the real question is could it technically be done.
You can at present stream between devices so couldn't that be used to move a recording from one device to another.

The problem of course is time as that could take a few hours so not something that can be done in an engineers visit, however it could probably be done for self installs..

thoughts.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transferring recordings

AFAIK there is no way to bit-copy HD material in original quality, due to the draconian anti-copying rules forced into the HDMi spec

you can pull stuff from a TIVO in SD analogue format , in real time only, via a scart connect, but you'll get far better quality versions, much more quickly,  over on the dark side.

there's no obvious way to load analogue material onto a V6

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

1. House of 4 people, couple of films and a TV series each all in HD, that's a full 1TB box pretty quickly.
  2. Depending on the series, if you can get to within a week, most likely Series Link+ will find the episodes from either repeats or catch up.

Technically though, highly unlikely.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

1stly why have a device that can record hundreds of hours of shows.

Because I record programmes, sometimes for me, sometimes for others, in the knowledge that not all will eventually be watched due to pressures such as time constraints, perhaps we hear bad reviews and don't bother and perhaps other methods are chosen to watch them, e.g. iPlayer, perhaps even on other devices.

I lost some programmes when I switched to the V6 recently but I had also recorded particular programmes on the Tivo I was keeping so they could be watched on that box, over the network if required.

However, that was of little consequence compared to having both boxes replaced last October, after months of waiting. Some series/programmes had been on one of those boxes for a long time but I was anxious to get the boxes replaced, so the sacrifice was worth it. To be honest, if they had mattered that much to me then I would have a got a recorder to archive them.

And remember, the real problems are with the content providers not wanting you to keep them rather than technical problems.

Just my thoughts.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

And remember, the real problems are with the content providers not wanting you to keep them rather than technical problems.

torrents can solve that for you- just don't wait for years as torrents dry up,

anything worth watchign and <1 year old should be easy to find

get them while they are fresh Smiley Happy

if you dn't want to go that route, buy the DVDs. they don't break as easily as V boxes.

0 Kudos