Menu
Ostragobulus
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Transferring Programmes to new Tivo box

The box has stopped responding to remote control signals. The problem is in the box and not the remote for which I have a spare.

The online "help" guy has arranged for an engineer in a weeks time and "he is going to fix it".

Well I can't see an under pressure Virgin engineer taking the box to pieces on site!

What is more likely to happen after a weeks delay is that a replacement box will be supplied, so my question is  about getting programmes off the present box.

I can do this but I would like to know whether the box will normally be swapped for faults such as this?  If it is then I would like to make a start as my box is 100% full at present.

What does anyone think?

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transferring Programmes to new Tivo box

You can't take your recordings from an old box to a new I'm afraid. The only way to do it is to run a scary cable to a DVD player and record onto DVD in real time ,so you wouldn't be able to watch anything else whilst doing it 

before you complain😟TiVo is designed to allow you to watch programmes you've missed by time shifting them ie you recording watching then deleting. TiVo doesn't come with the licensing rights to transfer programs to another TiVo 

as to whether he'll swap the box, personally I'd get him to try a new remote (your spare not withstanding) before anything else. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ostragobulus, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with your TiVo® box. 

Before replacing the TiVo® we will try a number of things to avoid this outcome however if the option is to replace it then as already mentioned by Parrotperson, there is no feature to transfer your recordings. 

What you can do however is copy all the settings over to the new TiVo® so it at least avoid you needing to re-setup your series links, wishlists and thumb ratings. 

You can do this by following the steps here: How to copy TiVo settings

Hopefully it won't come to that though. Pop back and let us know how the engineer visit goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
HomeboyD
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Forum Team,

Do you have any plans in the future to enable the facility to swap recorded programs from one box to another?

i'm pretty sure this is a common question that you get asked.

i'm having a faulty TivoV6 box replaced Thursday and will be gutted when I loose all my saved recordings which I won't get to watch before then

couldnt the engineer swap the memory card its stored on or something similar?

many thanks

Danny

0 Kudos
Ostragobulus
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem.

What you suggest is not possible.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HomeboyD wrote:

Hi Forum Team,

Do you have any plans in the future to enable the facility to swap recorded programs from one box to another?

i'm pretty sure this is a common question that you get asked.

i'm having a faulty TivoV6 box replaced Thursday and will be gutted when I loose all my saved recordings which I won't get to watch before then

couldnt the engineer swap the memory card its stored on or something similar?

many thanks

Danny

Doesn't matter if VM have plans for it or not. If the programme makers that own the copyright on the material won't allow it then you can't use it. As previously said, recording is for timeshift purposes only. Any other use of material is in breach of contract with the channel owner.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos