Menu
dave_the_leg
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Transfering or streaming recorded content to PC/Tablet

Have just got a Tivo and am seriously considering handing it back before the 14 day period is up.

Why can't I either back up my recordings to PC, or at the very least stream recorded material to a PC or Tablet?

I had a Satelite Feed into a PC and was watching/recording on Windows Media Centre, which worked well until Microsoft stopped supporting in Windows 10.  Got a Tivo not anticipating that this would be an issue - complete non-sense.

Not at all impressed.

Is there any chance of this changing?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transfering or streaming recorded content to PC/Tablet

So you want to make copies of copyright material for your own purposes?

With TiVo, you can only copy to a DVD or hard disk recorder via the SCART out in real time.

0 Kudos
dave_the_leg
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I really don't understand the copyright issue-with-free to air content.  Since the 1970s it has been possible to record, and retain for personal use, content on free to air channels - actually pay channels did not arive for some years afterwards.  No company has ever challenged the right of an individual to store and use content in this way - so why are Virgin complicit in restricting use of content in this way?

It would not be so bad if I could stream recorded content to a pc or tablet, which does not constitute copying content, simply watching the content on another screen.

This smacks of restrictive practice hiding behind poor interpretation of the law on copyright.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you're already recording the content, copying the recording is not allowed

0 Kudos
dave_the_leg
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Streaming the recorded content to a tablet, or other computer on a home network, or moving the recorded content from the TIVO to a computer or hard drive on the network is not copying the recorded content.   So why is that restricted?  

What this does restrict however is the users ability to watch the content on different platforms.  As the user I already have the right to watch the recorded content.  What Virgin does is thus restrictive practice, but has little to do with the rights of the copyright holder.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

it's the copyright holders who demanded this restiction

0 Kudos