Menu
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Transfering Programmes and Series Link

Hi all,

I have an engineer coming on Monday morning, I'm pretty sure that I will need a new Tivo box.  I have been told by customer support (on the phone) that neither programmes nor series links can be transfered to a new box.  This can't be true can it?  I'd have thought it would be a simple thing to copy the data across?

I have lots of series links and they would take ages to recreate and I also have lots and lots of shows that I haven't watched yet, and 2 series that I am saving for my son who is at uni and won't be back for a month.

Any ideas folks.

Thanks
Jim

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 26 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Transfering Programmes and Series Link

Just picked up on a PM that directed me here.

Go to Manage My TiVo and login so you can see your new box. If there is no Copy TiVo settings option on the left then try and go directly to the appropraite section by clicking this link:

http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap/

Hopefully you should now see your new box and your old de-activated box.

When I only had one box on the account I found that the Copy TiVo Settings option never appeared not even after a box swap but going directly to the web page via the link above allowed me to copy the settings from the old box. I'm sure I have mentioned this to VM support staff before?

Of course, now that I have two boxes on the account the Copy TiVo Settings option is permanently listed.

Let us know how you get on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

You can recover your series links but not your programs. This is done through My Virginmedia once the replacement box is in place.

0 Kudos
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will have to try to work out the process to transfer/recover the series links.

It seems very strange that programs can't be transferred.  I was told that it can't be done, I have a feeling it is more a case of don't want to.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

The help page will cover the Series Link info transfer: How to copy TiVo Settings

In regards to the copying of programmes from one TiVo to another, there are valid reasons why it's can't be done. Main one is that when a TiVo box is faulty, there is no guarantee that it's working in order to transfer the recordings in the first place.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi BenMcr,

Thanks for coming back to me on this.  

There may be valid reasons for not being able to transfer programmes, but customer services just told me that it isn't possible, which is nonsense.  I can understand that it would be a real problem to transfer if the disk is totally unusable, but in my case it just isn't working properly.  I have a feeling that the reasons for not transferring the programs is more to do with a lack of training for the engineers and it being easier to say 'can't be done' tough luck than to actually give a good service.  As I understand it the TIVO machine is nothing more than a media computer and the programmes are just a data file with a few entries in the system files that store info about it, It doesn't sound hard to work with in fact you'd think there would be an automatic system to backup and restore the programmes, so that the engineers didn't even have to do anything, similar to what I believe happens with the series link.

Speaking about the series links, customer support on the phone tells me they can't be transfered either, but it seems they can, so either they need more training to handle what seems to be a simple question or there is some sort of preferance to just say 'Can't be done' and then not have to worry about it.

Thanks
Jim

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

campbeji wrote:

Hi BenMcr,

Thanks for coming back to me on this.  

There may be valid reasons for not being able to transfer programmes, but customer services just told me that it isn't possible, which is nonsense.  I can understand that it would be a real problem to transfer if the disk is totally unusable, but in my case it just isn't working properly.  I have a feeling that the reasons for not transferring the programs is more to do with a lack of training for the engineers and it being easier to say 'can't be done' tough luck than to actually give a good service.  As I understand it the TIVO machine is nothing more than a media computer and the programmes are just a data file with a few entries in the system files that store info about it, It doesn't sound hard to work with in fact you'd think there would be an automatic system to backup and restore the programmes, so that the engineers didn't even have to do anything, similar to what I believe happens with the series link.

Speaking about the series links, customer support on the phone tells me they can't be transfered either, but it seems they can, so either they need more training to handle what seems to be a simple question or there is some sort of preferance to just say 'Can't be done' and then not have to worry about it.

Thanks
Jim

It is less of a technical issue and more to do with the fact that the content providers are paranoid about people copying their programmes. I have another Freeview DVR and it also prevents the copying of programmes.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi Frank_gm,

OK illegal or unethical copying of programs is wrong.  However all I want is to be left in the situation I was in before a technical problem occurred.  I don't think this situation should be affected by the copyright on content.  Essentially I have paid for use of the content, via Virgin, but due to a technical fault on Virgin equipment I will not be able to use what I have paid for.  I can't think of another situation where I can pay for something but if I am not able to use it due to a fault with the product that I can be told 'Tough luck' and have no options.

It just seems strange to me that Virgin can basically say, 'There is no reason why we can't do this for you, but were just not going to and we will lie and say it's not possible'

It'll be interesting to see what the engineer says tomorrow.

Thanks
Jim

0 Kudos
campbeji
Tuning in
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I assume the copy series link function only works after I have a second box installed? There is no copy function visible now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

You currently don't have a second box on your account to copy series links to.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

I understand that regular copies are made of series links and wishlists - but you will only see them appear when you have a second device which you can copy them too.

An old/expired box stays listed for a couple of weeks for you to copy from.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos