Menu
evenmorefedup
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Transfer programmes from Tivo

Hi, I have looked through the posts and can't find any definitive answer as to whether it is possible to save recordings externally. I have come across people saying that it is possible to save to a PVR via scart in real time.

I was just wondering, is it possible to save via HDMI to a Mac, albeit in realtime ? I think my Tivo is on it's last legs and I have a handful of stuff I would like ti save. Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transfer programmes from Tivo

As you have established, the only option is via SCART in real time.

evenmorefedup
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. If I get a scart adaptor of some kind, do you know if they could be transferred to a laptop and if the file format could be read on a laptop ? Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there evenmorefedup, 

Thank you for your post, as Ernie_C has stated, you would be able to do this via scart, and only in real time. 

The format would be dependant on the software on your Mac. Personally I'm not aware of software that would do this, but I've never really looked into it. My guess is that you'd need some sort of video capture software, and a way of getting what is output from the TiVo® on your screen. 

Another way, would be to run the scart to a VCR, or DVD recorder, and then record, again in real time. If you had a DVD recorder available, then this would then be able to be played on a Mac (providing you had a DVD drive on your Mac - My Macbook pro doesn't have a DVD drive, but I own an external DVD drive.)

Let us know how things go. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
evenmorefedup
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huw_B,

Thanks for your response.

What i have found is that there is very little in the way of DVD recorders available these days, so thought I would splash out on a combined HDD recorder combined with a DVD recorder, but no, the newer models have dropped the use of scart sockets on them !! No luck as of yet and need to get the stuff of my Tivo before it packs in which i think it is doing arghh.

0 Kudos
evenmorefedup
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi again, so i know that this can be done in realtime scart to a DVD recorder, as DVD recorders are few and far between, can it be done (in real time) to a HDD recorder/ PVR via scart ? Thanks

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

evenmorefedup wrote:

Thank you. If I get a scart adaptor of some kind, do you know if they could be transferred to a laptop and if the file format could be read on a laptop ? Thanks

There are plenty of USB capture devices. You might need a scart to phono adapter. I don't know mac but some say they are compatible They should come with the software to capture in real time. They can be a bit technical and you need to figure out codecs and bitrates (take time to practice) and of course file sizes can be huge. There are HDMI capture devices, but I doubt they would work with HD without a few tricks.

Tivo can play a group of recordings but I always found Tivo crashes after the first one or two so that is another Tivo "feature" I no longer bother with.

The only non-realtime options cannot be discussed around here.Smiley Happy

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thanks4nothing wrote:

evenmorefedup wrote:

There are plenty of USB capture devices. You might need a scart to phono adapter. I don't know mac but some say they are compatible They should come with the software to capture in real time. They can be a bit technical and you need to figure out codecs and bitrates (take time to practice) and of course file sizes can be huge. There are HDMI capture devices, but I doubt they would work with HD without a few tricks.

Tivo can play a group of recordings but I always found Tivo crashes after the first one or two so that is another Tivo "feature" I no longer bother with.

The only non-realtime options cannot be discussed around here.Smiley Happy

Thats because there are no non realtime methods to get the recorded stuff from the TiVo.

HDMI Capture device will case TiVo to fail HDCP so won't work.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos