Menu
barnsley_jo
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo

Hello I am wanting to upgrade my package but customer service / sales cannot answer all my questions - my current virgin box is in the room at the front of the house but I am looking at upgrading to the TiVo box and want it in the back of the house - do I need a new wall mounted socket? or can the box just be plugged in?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo

You'll need a cable run to the new location Vigin have a fixed charge of £99 for this sort of work

0 Kudos
spoonfed
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you're capable of running a cable yourself from the current location to the new location, then that's what you should aim to do.

I moved my box from the basement to the 1st floor. I had the Tivo box installed in the basement where the existing cable point was but while the engineer was with me I pointed out where I intended to move it to. He donated the correct length of cable and while he fiddled with the Tivo setup I ran the cable to the new location. As I'd already prepared holes it only took 5 minutes for me to run it through. He then terminated the cable ends for me.

Obviously if you can't do this yourself then you'll have to pay the fee for them to do it.

Also, if you can't persuade them to give you some cable or help you terminate, but you still think you are capable of running it through, then buy this...

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/WF100_cable.htm They sell it by the metre and you can also buy the screw on F-Plugs (50p each) for the two ends.

Don't buy cheaper no name aerial coax as it's not good enough quality.

Good luck

0 Kudos
oldgit
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Maplins will supply a fully made up cable for you for a lot less than the £99 previously mentioned.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

oldgit wrote:
Maplins will supply a fully made up cable for you for a lot less than the £99 previously mentioned.

That cable is for sky and not the correct spec for Virgin TV it can cause issues on your box and other boxes in the area, if they track the issue to your house you will be charged a large fee

0 Kudos
barnsley_jo
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the advice - problem would be having to run it into cellar and then across back room to the location needed - don't think I will bother

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

barnsley_jo wrote:

Thanks for all the advice - problem would be having to run it into cellar and then across back room to the location needed - don't think I will bother

The £99 covers any amount of work needed

0 Kudos