Menu
Rabbit1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo won't install

Hi, upgraded to a tivo box, received it today, set it up & basically it will not install in any way shape or form. & no one can give me ANY reason as to why.
After 7 hours, 3 long telephone calls & a visit to the Virgin Media store in Liverpool the message on the TV screen still says "Updating - Stage 1 of 3" & never gets to stage 2.
Now they tell me a technician will come out to fix it. Oh great I thought, that's extremely helpful of you Virgin. The technician will come out on Thursday they said.
It's only Saturday now !
You have got to be kidding me right ?
No surely, it's a joke ?

To be told I won't be charged for those 6 days of having no tv services is NO consolation, that would be expected from any company.
I don't want free tv that I can't use, I want a tv service that I pay for that actually works.
As with ALL things Virgin Media.....when the products work, they are absolutely great. & when they don't, trying to get any knowledgeable help or, indeed, any sense from customer services....well it's beyond a joke & to be perfectly honest it's a disgrace.
6 days..........SIX
Jesus.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo won't install

The only thing I can reccomend to try is pull the HDMI lead out the Tivo and then restart the Tivo withthe HDMI lead out, wait 5 mins and see if its moved onto stage 2
0 Kudos
Rabbit1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi JB, thanks for your reply. The only purpose of the HDMI cable is to project any image or sound from the Tivo box onto my tv screen, & as such does not have any effect on the start up/installation process of the Tivo box which can only be administered by Virgin directly. Thanks anyway.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

On what "sequence" does the Tivo box hang on stage 1? Is it "obtaining IP address" or similiar? Did you have any doc's in box with a SelfStart tele number to ring to authenticate?
Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Rabbit1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, it doesn't give any other information on the screen other than a white bar at the bottom of the screen which constantly loads up, making its way across the screen as if it's about to reach "Stage 2" then never reaches stage 2. I took a photo of it hoping to maybe upload it here but, alas, it doesn't seem that I'm able to.
Yes I have rung the activaction number that came with the new box 3 times now, I have even provided the serial number of the tivo box but to no avail. In the 3 calls I have made I just get repeatedly told that they are sending signals to the box & it will work soon.
I have now had the box switched on for over 25 hours, have rebooted it several times, took all leads out & left it for 20 mins then rebooted but still nothing. I even left it on over night & the only message STILL on the screen is "Updating - Stage 1 of 3".
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rabbit1,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® isn't working and that you're having to wait for an engineer to call round and fix this for you.

I just wanted to pop by and let you know we're here to help so if you can let me know how you get on with the engineer appointment, that would be super.  

If you need anything else in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos