Menu
higgsboson
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo software update is a mess

Like many others here, I'm finding that since my Tivo box was updated (or should that be "torpedoed") with the latest software (at least I assume that's what caused it to go offline without any warning whatsoever - thanks for that VM), the system has been slow to respond, and the recording facility is a mess, with previously deleted recordings re-established, and new recordings not setting up properly.

For example, if I set a series link (yes, new only, no streaming) on a specific program on a specific channel, and then choose to set up another series link to record the same identically named program on a different channel, the previous series link disappears. (This can happen if there are different series of the same program being shown on alternate channels).

I re-iterate what others have also said regarding new updates - "If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! If you do insist on "fixing it", then TEST IT! (properly)

In this case it is broke, please fix, or put your price hike back in the box!

Cheers

Dave
If you are going to kick a tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with it's teeth (Tom Clancy - The Teeth of the Tiger)
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo software update is a mess

higgsboson wrote:

For example, if I set a series link (yes, new only, no streaming) on a specific program on a specific channel, and then choose to set up another series link to record the same identically named program on a different channel, the previous series link disappears. (This can happen if there are different series of the same program being shown on alternate channels).

I think the correct behaviour is that it should convert the previous single channel series link to an all channels series link+ If it has not then it is definitely a bug however if it has converted the existing one to an all channels series link then it is operating as intended.

I must admit I am not a fan of this behaviour - for most cases an all channels series link should be the way to go however I attempted to set two single channel series links for the "Formual E" review programmes on ITV and ITV4 however as per the defined behaviour upon attempting to set the second one it instead converted the first one to an all channel series link+. This then also picks up the review and highlights programmes on Eurosport and BT Sports which is what I don't want!

As a compromise I have had to bump the series link to the bottom of my list so that an errant BT Sports or Eurosport recording that I miss or forget to cancel should not cause another scheduled recording to fail (due to it being a lower priority).

higgsboson wrote:

I re-iterate what others have also said regarding new updates - "If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! If you do insist on "fixing it", then TEST IT! (properly)

I wonder if any of the triallists or testers mentioned this that were tasked with testing the new functionality before the public release? I'm sure some would have!

Need to read between the lines on that last statement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

G4DDS wrote:

I wonder if any of the triallists or testers mentioned this that were tasked with testing the new functionality before the public release? I'm sure some would have!

One would have hoped that triallists/testers were provided with a detailed outline of the changes and that there was a test plan to check for changes such as Serial link+. This would require that the testers might have to step out of their normal usage and set up links that thoroughly tested all possibilities.

To be honest I am not much affected by this change as the type of link discussed above does not relate to my normal usage. If that was the case for testers and they were not briefed to go outside their normal behaviour then this might account for this issue not being highlighted.

Someone else posted, yesterday I think, that part of the problem might be the selection of the test panel. VM can see from the forums those customers who might have a different usage of the Tivo and those who have problems. It might not suit the corporate nature of VM but those are probably exactly the type of people needed for thorough testing.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
happyrobot
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

And opening one of the apps takes forever. I tried to open one of the apps 5 times yesterday as it kept crashing. Opened on the 6th occasion but the response times of scrolling was painful.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

G4DDS wrote:

higgsboson wrote:

I think the correct behaviour is that it should convert the previous single channel series link to an all channels series link+ If it has not then it is definitely a bug however if it has converted the existing one to an all channels series link then it is operating as intended.

I must admit I am not a fan of this behaviour - for most cases an all channels series link should be the way to go however I attempted to set two single channel series links for the "Formual E" review programmes on ITV and ITV4 however as per the defined behaviour upon attempting to set the second one it instead converted the first one to an all channel series link+. This then also picks up the review and highlights programmes on Eurosport and BT Sports which is what I don't want!

As a compromise I have had to bump the series link to the bottom of my list so that an errant BT Sports or Eurosport recording that I miss or forget to cancel should not cause another scheduled recording to fail (due to it being a lower priority).

higgsboson wrote:

I reported before general release as did others, like standby not recording but they carried on, like Dolby Digital last year.

0 Kudos