Menu
peterjf
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tivo setup

I'm currently setting up a new Tivo box. I've got as far as the screen which tells me how to set up the Tivo remote to control my TV and have done this successfully.

The trouble I've got is that the instructions on this screen spill off the bottom of the TV picture and I can't see any way of scrolling down. This means that I can't find what the next stage in the Tivo setup, let alone continue with the setup.

Surely I'm not the only person who has had this problem as I've got a pretty standard TV. Does anyone know, if nothing else, what button I need to press on the remote to continue the setup process?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo setup

I'm not in front of my TiVo just at the mo but try the channel up down button. It's on the right hand side a quarter way down give or take 

By the my shows button  

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3954&CURRENT_C...

Or maybe the main down arrow 

0 Kudos
Laserq007
Joining in
Message 13 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I just had exactly the same issue (menu dropping off the bottom of the screen) and was also stumped. BTW the key to save the remote setup is 'ok' . This should exit the setup process.However I still had the same issue on every subsequent menu.Rebooting and changing HDMI cables didn't help.

Started the Tivo remote setup again and this time noticed an on-screen instruction (top right)  to press the screen re-size button (which is to the left of the OK and screen navigation buttons). That fixed all the menus !

Problem solved !

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm not in front of my TiVo just at the mo but try the channel up down button. It's on the right hand side a quarter way down give or take 

By the my shows button  

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3954&CURRENT_C...

Or maybe the main down arrow 

0 Kudos
peterjf
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but no luck.

I've eventually given up and switched the box off and on again. The setup had completed and the box is working fine. However, I am getting the same thing in some of the menus - but at least I can scroll down these by using the up/down arrow buttons that are round the OK button.

Strange but my problem seems to be a one-off and is probably just one of 'those' things.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mm. You have got a TiVo remote haven't you? (Look at the picture I posted before). It has been known for the wrong remote to be left with the customer!! 

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Could it be the zoom\aspect ratio settings on your TV? Maybe it's cutting the top and bottom of the picture of so might be worth checking the various settings for that on both the TiVo and the TV.

0 Kudos
peterjf
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but I don't think so. The 'live' TV picture is showing correctly, and most of the menu screens also show properly. I just think that it's an overfilled setup screen that no-one noticed.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi peterjf, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having trouble setting up your TiVo® box. 

As mentioned by Tavis75, my first thought is that the issue will be down to the aspect ratio settings. Now it could be the settings on the TV or even the TiVo®. Do you have these selected to 4:3 or 16:9 on the TV? 

Have you been able to get any further in setting the TiVo® up or are you still having an issue? 

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dancrispin
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up my box and have same issue. Tried re-setting tv screen res but not made a difference. Have got as far as volume working/can turn off and on using standby but cannot scroll down! Any ideas appreciated!
0 Kudos
peterjf
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I do seem to have the correct remote. Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
peterjf
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm on 16:9 - which I presume is correct because everything else seems to display correctly. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos