Menu
crypticc
Superfast
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Tivo scaling bug

Thread bump for the scaling bug which causes Tivo to always scale SD even when per the help if 576i is picked that should be used for standard def.

Why has this not been fixed yet Virgin?

It's still impossible to get the Tivo to output standard Def as unscaled standard Def and High Def as 1080i.

I've got a fancy new tv that is actually okay at scaling SD to 4k but still having Tivo rubbish upscaling engine to 1080 and then again to 4k and all these touch points are asking artefacts galore!!!

This is a five year old bug. Come on Tivo/ Virgin rename standard def pass through.

Thanks

Chris

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/Tivo/message-id/123866https://communi...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Picture-Upscaling/td-p/361285/page/2

----------------------------------------------------------
OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA in my SE London area 21 running since 2009, but potentially on its way to being resolved although still only 1/5th of advertised speed at times

Original TiVo video output scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings Scaling Bug

The day it started to go wrong again 2017

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo scaling bug

Hello crypticc,

Thanks for posting.

Having a quick look through the links you posted and I can see NickO has made a couple of comments saying that he's confirmed it's not a bug. I have not heard of this issue before but is this causing a poor picture quality on HD channels?

I'm unsure as to what changes we can make here as the only video settings available on the TiVo® are shown here.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose.

Sorry but I disagree. This is a bug and I think if you ask anyone here they will agree.

If you goto the Tivo display menu. Click"info" for the help and it matches exactly what everyone wants it to do.

The first bug is that If you pick all of them to pass though in native mode it will send 1080 only, even if channel is SD 576i . That's affecting everyone with a 1080 or 4k screen who want to let their TV scale and deinterlace SD 576 material. Rather than what happens today which is Tivo will scale to 1080i, and then your tv will then deinterlace and in the case of 4k, scale again... Resulting in bad quality because scaling twice is bad.

The second bug is that it ignores everything entirely and uses 720p if that is picked. That is also a bug and perhaps annoying for people with 720 screens who would pick 576, and 720 to let their TV scale SD 576 material but have the Tivo downscale 1080 to 720. 

In summary if I wanted fixed mode 720 I would pick only that mode. if I wanted fixed mode 1080 I would again ensure only 1080 is picked. But many people want native mode, or hybrid mode.  And those do not work.

The issue only affects the Virgin Tivo box. The official Tivo does it properly.

See below for proof. I am surprised that there isn't a high priority incident number for these bugs.

Thanks

Chris

"The Video Output Format screen lets you choose whether you want the TiVo box to upscale and resize your video content, or whether you want the Tv to perform the scaling. It also lets you bypass any formats that may not be supported by your TV.

Here are some common choices:

Let the TiVo box scanner video for you ("Fixed" mode): Select only the single best format supported by your Tv and all content will be passed through or scaled to that format by the TiVo box.

Pass all video straight though ("Native" mode): Select all video formats, and content will be passed straight through to your TV without scaling. Recommended for TVs that support all formats.

Convert only the formats your TV does not support ("Hybrid" mode): Select only the formats that your TV supports, and the Tivo box will make the best choice in converting source video to a format that your TV can display. For example, some older HDTV sets may only display 576p and 720p; in that case, select only those two formats and all content will be shown, regardless of source format.

1080(25fps) content: The Tivo box supports 1080p content at 25 frames per second (fps) in pass-through mode only. This means that source content at a format of 1080i or lower cannot be upscaled to 1080p. However, source content at 1080p/25fps can be"passed through" the Tivo box to your HDTV, assuming that your TV supports that format"

1478950851771850681240.jpg1478950900845-1733900242.jpg1478950927210-889051898.jpg

OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA in my SE London area 21 running since 2009, but potentially on its way to being resolved although still only 1/5th of advertised speed at times

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for getting back to me with all of the information above.

I have forwarded this on to our TiVo® team to take a look into it for you so once I have an update I will be in touch.

Speak to you soon.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Chris,

They've just come back to me but need to know a little more information so could you provide me with these details please?

• The Make/Model of your TV.
  • How is the TiVo® box connected to your TV? Straight connection via HDMI or through an amplifier?

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Current tv is LG oled e6, 65"
Fault occurs whether connected directly to tv port or if connected indirectly via my arcam amplifier.
The fault also occured on my previous Sony xbr3500 and again both direct or via my Sony str-da6400es amplifier.

I think it you were to ask everyone here has the same fault but have been told (incorrectly) that selecting only 1080 fixes it. But that just causes it to scale everything and because scaling technology on TV is now better than Tivo I do not want my Tivo to do the scaling.

Thank you
Chris

0 Kudos
scruffer04
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Having tried various options, I have to agree with cryticc. The TIVO box only outputs at 1080i, ie all SD content is upscaled. As I have a very good 4k TV, I would like the TV to upscale SD content and not the TIVO. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks for providing me with this information I have forwarded this on and I'll be in touch if I need any further information or have any updates.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hello again crypticc,

Just to let you know that this has been investigated and we're going to get this raised but I am going to need your details if that's okay to forward on to the team so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see a message waiting for you requesting further information,.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hello scruffer04,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

If you're experiencing the same problem as crypticc then please reply with the information below and I can forward this on to our TiVo® team to be raised on your behalf.

• The Make/Model of your TV.
  • How is the TiVo® box connected to your TV? Straight connection via HDMI or through an amplifier?

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos