Menu
vginforum
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo records the programme, not the time

On my Freepost DVR the recording is adjusted if the programme timing changes.

It seems this does not happen with Tivo.

0 Kudos
vginforum
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo records the programme, not the time

Sorry, wrong way round, Tivo records the time not the actual programme

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you got a DVR free in the post? lucky you Smiley Happy

TiVo works off a published EPG which needs to be updated should there be a schedule change, if the change is a day plus away it should be updated if the channel informs VM's listings provider in time but if it's in the near future the chances are it'll be too late.

live events are marked such that they'll prompt you to extend the recording when you set it up.

0 Kudos
stevef
Superfast
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"Live events are marked such that they'll prompt you to extend the recording when you set it up." Which is great if you want to record the event but pretty useless if you want to record the programme  following the live event

0 Kudos
PPPPPPPP
Just browsing
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What?? Even vcr had pdc in last century? Virgin not have better????

0 Kudos
vginforum
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I wasn't recording a 'live event' in the case I was thinking of. I had a series link to Newsnight. BBC decided to show the Olympics at that time instead. I got Olympics and had to search on iPlayer for Newsnight which was shown later.

My Freeview (not Freepost, sorry) DVR records the programme. I don't need to extend every recording by three minutes as with Tivo to make sure I get the ending.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

vginforum wrote:

I wasn't recording a 'live event' in the case I was thinking of. I had a series link to Newsnight. BBC decided to show the Olympics at that time instead. I got Olympics and had to search on iPlayer for Newsnight which was shown later.

My Freeview (not Freepost, sorry) DVR records the programme. I don't need to extend every recording by three minutes as with Tivo to make sure I get the ending.

Despite my unhappiness with various other aspects, this is not one of them. My recording schedule often has all three tuners set to record at the same time with other recordings set before and after. When channels mess about with the programme timings, and the BBC is the main culprit, for the Tivo to reorganise the recordings on the fly, and often only with very short notice, could mean that I would get the rescheduled programme recorded but quite possibly at the cost of other programmes with which it was now overlapping.

The simple solution, and again it is primarily the BBC, is to keep to schedule. More often than not these problems are caused by idiotic schedulers who, for example, move Wimbledon games around channels at the last minute. In your case it drove me up the wall that despite having several channels dedicated almost 24 hours a day to the Olympics and ten red button channels, they kept on chopping and changing on BBC 2 and BBC News.

I also watch Newsnight and I think that the BBC failed its audience and its charter by regularly replacing news and current affairs with the Olympics. Some of us are more interested in the former than the latter.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!