Menu
jloveys
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tivo randomly deleting shows and not recording others.

Hi.

I've recently had two random problems with my Tivo box.  They seem to be unrelated, but I'm going to post about both here and I apologise in advance if I shouldn't do that.

Problem 1)  I have a series link set up for a show that plays every week day around four pm (It's Gilmore Girls.  Don't judge me.).  The past two weeks, one day hasn't recorded - and it wasn't the same day each week.  I have nothing else set up to record at that time and my box isn't full, so I don't know why it's randomly decided that I don't want to watch that particular episode.

Problem 2)  My box has deleted a load of shows overnight.  Yesterday I was actually in the folder for the shows in question, and locked five that were due to delete by August 3rd.  Some of the others had the 'three day hourglass' beside them, but checking the info showed they weren't due to be deleted until August 5th.  I left those, and the others that didn't have the delete-indicator hourglass icons.  today I've gone to my box and the only episodes of this show still in the folder are the ones I locked.  They're also not in the 'recently deleted' folder.  So why were they deleted?  This is not the first time this has happened either.  

Please advise?

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo randomly deleting shows and not recording others.

Problem 1]  Is it possible that the EPG guide is not showing as 'New' for the episodes it misses? That could explain why the series link doesn't record them. If that is the case there is an email address to get the guide corrected, will go and search for you and edit it in.

Edit:  After searching all over finally found the guide error email address. [wish it was easier to find than doing searches of topics for it ggrr] anyway here it is tivoguideerrors@virginmedia.co.uk

Problem 2] Really feel for you with the sudden deletion of shows. You aren't alone since the big update to purple a lot of people have had this problem and am not sure if VM are actually looking into why this is happening. Clearly something in the update clashed with something else to cause this error. Sometimes a reboot has brought them back for others but that is rare. I think you have to ensure all shows are set to Keep until I delete. Apparently that in itself has caused a bug in the past, pre Purple update but, does seem to resolve the random deleting of shows set 'until space needed'.

The final check you can do is make sure your default recoding settings are to 'keep all shows' Default setting is 10 I think but you can't set KUID as a default you have to set that for each series link you have. The quick version of get a series link uses the default  recording settings so I always use Explore this show where you can set everything from there.

I've always used the KUID option from the first time I got a Tivo, not knowing that in itself caused problems for some, which I've since seen people mention on here tho not sure what problem that causes. I am just keeping fingers crossed whatever bug it caused doesn't affect any of my recordings  as am 3 mths behind on all my series links and don't want to lose any of them..  :/

0 Kudos
jloveys
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi.  

Thanks for the response. Smiley Happy

I'm not sure about the guide showing 'new'.  Gilmore Girls, which is the daily show I'm having trouble with recording, actually finished several years ago.  None of these episodes are new.  I did check my recording settings and for that show it's set to 'everything'.  My other series links are set to 'new and reruns'.

I did actually check the recording settings before posting my question.  It's already set to 'keep all shows', but there's nowhere to tell it to use 'keep until I delete' as a default for recordings.  

I don't remember having had this problem before, but there's definitely something going on of late. Youtube isn't working properly either.  It's not been happening since the purple update (who decided that was a good colour, anyway?) came in, but has only started recently.  

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

KUID is not a default setting, you have to set it per series link so once you create one you then have to change the settings, or create one by choosing explore this show instead of Get series link. The former allows you to set the recording options at the time of setting the series link and the latter uses the default recording settings so you have to find it in your series link list and change the settings from there.

I've seen stuff about the You tube app problem, I don't use it myself, and can't work out why I'd want to use it if I am honest lol ...  that was a recent problem supposedly fixed but not sure if it has been fully...., 

The random deletion of up to half of peoples recordings started after the 'big' upgrade end of last year when things went purple.. TBH I prefer the purple to the gawdy red Smiley Wink

Not sure about your missing programme each week if you have it set to record all.. maybe try doing a manual recording instead of series link, if it is on the same time each day? There are quite a lot of repeat options for manual recordings so you should be able to set one to pick them all up.

0 Kudos
Wolfie11
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How full is your hard drive?.

If it's not, say, over 70% full, then you shouldn't need to worry abuot hour-glasses telling you the recording will be deleted within so many days, as it will only be deleted if it needs the space for a new recording. I have a couple of films saved which have had the hourglass for months and are still there.

From my own experience, I've found it better just to let Tivo do it's thing and not bother with setting KUID and have seen posts where doing this has caused other problems.

Incidentally, what happens if you set all recordings to KUID and the box needs the space for new scheduled recordings?. Does it not record?. What takes priority?. Not a problem for me but just wondered....
0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Wolfie11 wrote:

If it's not, say, over 70% full, then you shouldn't need to worry abuot hour-glasses telling you the recording will be deleted within so many days, as it will only be deleted if it needs the space for a new recording. I have a couple of films saved which have had the hourglass for months and are still there.

From my own experience, I've found it better just to let Tivo do it's thing and not bother with setting KUID and have seen posts where doing this has caused other problems.

Incidentally, what happens if you set all recordings to KUID and the box needs the space for new scheduled recordings?. Does it not record?. What takes priority?. Not a problem for me but just wondered....

The OP is writing about the specific random deleting of shows that has happened since the Purple update and which is done regardless of how much space there is left ... and then the shows do not appeari in the deleted items folder. It is nothing to do with the hourglass thing, there have been loads of threads on this subject Smiley Wink

People that have had this problem have found the shows they had as KUID were not deleted in this mass random deletion. In some case over 40% of people's shows were randomly vanished in one go never to be seen again. .Smiley Sad 

If you use KUID then if the space is low you will get an alert to say the show you are setting to record may not record. What I do is use KUID but I watch and delete loads each day so shows that were greyed out in planned recordings due to 'lack of space' turn white as you create more space for them and they move up the recording list.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Olly wrote:

Wolfie11 wrote:

The OP is writing about the specific random deleting of shows that has happened since the Purple update and which is done regardless of how much space there is left ... and then the shows do not appeari in the deleted items folder. It is nothing to do with the hourglass thing, there have been loads of threads on this subject Smiley Wink

People that have had this problem have found the shows they had as KUID were not deleted in this mass random deletion. In some case over 40% of people's shows were randomly vanished in one go never to be seen again. .Smiley Sad 

If you use KUID then if the space is low you will get an alert to say the show you are setting to record may not record. What I do is use KUID but I watch and delete loads each day so shows that were greyed out in planned recordings due to 'lack of space' turn white as you create more space for them and they move up the recording list.

I concur. This is what I do and have never missed a recording even when, on setting up the recording, I was told that there was not enough space. Performing regular housekeeping has always worked for me and I use KUID extensively.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
jloveys
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Olly wrote:

KUID is not a default setting, you have to set it per series link so once you create one you then have to change the settings, or create one by choosing explore this show instead of Get series link. The former allows you to set the recording options at the time of setting the series link and the latter uses the default recording settings so you have to find it in your series link list and change the settings from there.

Yup I've done that.  I do that for every new series link, actually.  I just don't see why they can't put it in the 'default recording options' box for the device itself.  It seems a bit... odd.

Olly wrote:

I've seen stuff about the You tube app problem, I don't use it myself, and can't work out why I'd want to use it if I am honest lol ...  that was a recent problem supposedly fixed but not sure if it has been fully...., 

The random deletion of up to half of peoples recordings started after the 'big' upgrade end of last year when things went purple.. TBH I prefer the purple to the gawdy red Smiley Wink

I use it when I'm showing people videos, as my PC is upstairs.  It's quite useful.  When it works.  It did work up until the last couple of weeks but now it's stopped.  The major thing that I dislike about it is that if you search from within the app, you can't use the remote as a text input thing (like with the old text messages).  Instead you have to scroll around an alphabet grid and hit the OK button after each letter.  I generally go to search and browse and use the remote, then tell it to search youtube from there.

I preferred the red.  Yes it was brighter, but it also matched better with Virgin's actual colours.  The purple has always appeared to be faded.  The first time I turned my TV on and saw that, I thought there was something wrong with my screen! Smiley Happy

Olly wrote:

Not sure about your missing programme each week if you have it set to record all.. maybe try doing a manual recording instead of series link, if it is on the same time each day? There are quite a lot of repeat options for manual recordings so you should be able to set one to pick them all up.

The problem here is that although the programme IS on at the same time each weekday, it's missing random days.  One week was wednesday.  One was tuesday.  This week it missed wednesday again.  But after it didn't record last week I checked through my guide to see if it was going to record all of this week's episodes, and the icons were there next to all of them.  There's no reason for it to randomly not record and that's what's so confusing.

0 Kudos
Olly
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I understood the series link was missing out random days, no idea why it has done that but, I thought by setting a manual record instead of series link that would make sure each day was recorded for you Smiley Wink 

0 Kudos
jloveys
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Olly wrote:

Yeah I understood the series link was missing out random days, no idea why it has done that but, I thought by setting a manual record instead of series link that would make sure each day was recorded for you Smiley Wink 

I did consider trying that, but when I looked ahead in the guide they were all set to record so it doesn't allow a manual record.  So far this week it's done them all though so fingers crossed. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos