Menu
Thepharoah
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo playing up

Has anybody else started having problems with their Tivo box in the last month? When you click on any button it takes ages to respond. It has started missing series links and today started one programme 23 minutes late missing some of the key action. I have a feeling Virgin has "improved" the software and this has led to these problems. It has changed series link to series link +  which I found to be of no great benefit and I had no problems before this change.

Helpful Answers
vadek
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo playing up

I think an alpha version of the software was accidentally deployed to customers. Extreme response times and failed recordings are symptomatic.

All Replies
vadek
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tell me about it.
0 Kudos
Thepharoah
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Now it has failed to record F1 qualifying.

0 Kudos
vadek
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think an alpha version of the software was accidentally deployed to customers. Extreme response times and failed recordings are symptomatic.

Thepharoah
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I wonder how long it will take Virgin to acknowledge the problem and do something about it.

0 Kudos
vadek
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thepharoah wrote:

I wonder how long it will take Virgin to acknowledge the problem and do something about it.

I think that will depends on how many phone calls from non-forum users they receive at their call centre. Once it's reached critical mass (over half a million?), a software team leader will be woken up with a nudge and a mug of coffee and be tasked with finding out what all these people are complaining about.

We should have a fix by Christmas (this year, hopefully). Smiley Wink

savik2
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In the absence of any useful response from the VM Techs, here's a few work-arounds I've found for some of the issues we are all experiencing since the latest Tivo "upgrade":-

1. Make sure your Tivo does not go to Standby (Home, Settings, Device, Power Management, Power Saving Off)

2. Permanently Delete all Recently Deleted shows (My Shows, Recently Deleted, Clear, Permanently Delete) 

3. Delete all Thumb settings and turn off Suggestions (Home, Reset Tivo, Clear Thumb Settings) <<< requires Restart

I've done all three of these, and my Tivo is definitely less 'laggy' - though how long that will last, I don't know.  

There's all sorts of other glitches, like Planned Recordings being swamped by shows that won't be recorded because they are not Planned (i.e. do not match the criteria set in the Series Link or have no Series Link at all).  This is just nuts - essentially the Planned Recordings now lists every showing of every programme, and that makes it hard to spot the true clashes amid the dross.  And, of course, that means there's loads of Planned Programmes that are marked Will Not Record due to lack of space, even though the majority of the unplanned Planned Programmes won't be recorded because they are duplicates or don't even have a Series Link.  So far, I have not found a workaround for this.

Likewise, Recording Hiccups: it's nothing but a long list of all the programmes that weren't recorded because they didn't match the criteria. So not hiccups at all, but a list of programmes you didn't want anyway.  True, there has recently been a handful of genuine hiccups - all of them programmes that didn't record because the box had gone into Standby.

There is significant sound & vision drop-out for the channel being watched every time a recording starts - a right pain in the proverbial when your favourite shows happen to be murder mysteries, and the recorder kicks in a minute before the end of the show you're watching, right at the point where Inspector Morse says "You are an idiot, Sgt Lewis. Any fool can see that the murderer is.." ...<signal dropout> ...<signal returns>  "...Sgt Lewis, you are a buffoon and mine's a pint."  Credits roll.

There is no explanation of the new Series Link+ settings - what does it mean, "Bookmark in My Shows"?  If a show has been recorded or is available for streaming, then surely it would be listed in My Shows anyway?  (And why anyone would want to watch streamed content on laggy old BBC iPlayer, heaven only knows.)

All in all, I wish I could go back to the old V+ system: I just want to watch telly, record the odd programme or two and plan my viewing from a simple EPG. I do not want to spend half the evening tinkering with settings, ploughing through endless menus and turning things off and on again.  These days, it takes longer for my Tivo to get going than it used to take my old Rediffusion valve-set to warm up....  Also, I distinctly remember the Telewest salesman telling me that the beauty of cable TV is that I could say goodbye to 'atmospherics' - he didn't mention the hello I'd be saying to pixellation, random reboots and deafening pops and squeaks!

Savik-the-Luddite  (watching on a Phillips 4:3 CRT TV set circa 1988 - beautiful picture quality, built-in Dolby sound, too heavy for the cat to topple.)

0 Kudos