Menu
aidemnigriv
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo playback pixilating but only at specific times!?

TIVO playback is normally OK but we started to notice periods of breakup/stuttering/freezing lasting for about 30 seconds particularly (possibly only) on HD recordings. After the episode a rewind and replay produces faultless playback. Evidently the recordings are not corrupted, it is something to do with what is happening at the time of playback.

After this happened a few times we noticed that it always happened at about 15 minutes past midnight and was accompanied by audible hard drive activity and speculated that it was caused by some kind of updating process interrupting the playback. We have now noticed that it happens at other times of day but only between 5 past and 20 past the hour, any hour!

Not sure if it is related but on broadband we have been plagued with intermittent connectivity, not poor speed but delays in fetching webpages to the point where the web browser reports "page not found", a few seconds later an f5 refresh normally gets the page but sometimes the lack of connectivity lasts several minutes. This happens all the time not just in the first quarter hour!

Any help/observations/tips or sympathy gratefully received! 

Mike

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo playback pixilating but only at specific times!?

If the timing is predictable and you can rewind and play successfully then you may be suffering from  'Bug #357803 frame rate drop'. VM's dirty little secret that they would prefer not to talk about.

I suffered from it on two boxes last year and it was like drawing teeth to get VM to acknowledge the issue as there is no resolution for it at the moment. After a five month long battle I finally had both boxes replaced and the problem disappeared. With luck you might also get your box replaced and the problem might disappear but it irritates me that VM still continue to pretend that the problem does not exist.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos

All Replies
aidemnigriv
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Bump happened again 9:15 tonight on the dot.
Any mod able to help?
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the timing is predictable and you can rewind and play successfully then you may be suffering from  'Bug #357803 frame rate drop'. VM's dirty little secret that they would prefer not to talk about.

I suffered from it on two boxes last year and it was like drawing teeth to get VM to acknowledge the issue as there is no resolution for it at the moment. After a five month long battle I finally had both boxes replaced and the problem disappeared. With luck you might also get your box replaced and the problem might disappear but it irritates me that VM still continue to pretend that the problem does not exist.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
aidemnigriv
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Frank

Thanks very much for your input.

Yes it is entirely predicable, in fact we were watching recordings last night and at 00:15 I jokingly said to the wife "wait for it" and then bang on cue the audio dropped and the picture broke up, then same again at 01:15! Curiously we have been watching recordings again this evening and it did not happen at all but it may be that the recordings we watched were not HD or were not playing at 15 mins past any hour.

I cannot say for certain but I believe it only happens on HD playback, the recordings are all ok because after the episode we can re-wind re-play and the problem does not repeat, it never happens outside the first 20 minutes of the hour and it never happens whilst watching real time.  

We moved house in July last year and the TIVO was added to the package at that time, we had a TIVO at the old house and that never did it. It is difficult to say when the problem started, I am guessing at around the turn of the year. Although we had experienced very occasional pixilation before it was apparently random (or at least we had not worked out the pattern).

Our viewing habits changed at the end of the year when the wife discovered NCIS and I set up an all channels unlimited recordings series link. Did you know that there are 350 episodes of NCIS and that on most nights there are a dozen or so episodes transmitted! So it may be that be became aware of the issue because we now watch more recordings than we do real time, I encouraged this as I have become commercial break phobic and realised that I can get almost 20 minutes of my life back when watching an hour long programme by fast forwarding through the opening and closing credits and the adverts. Anyway I digress!  

Thanks for introducing me to 'Bug #357803! I am intrigued, do you know any more about it? What mechanism accounts for the peculiar timing and why does it only affect play back and not real time?  

I wonder what's the chances of any of the virgin team picking up on this (Please!)?

I am not sure I fancy a 5 month battle nor would I wish to have the box swapped. Did you know that a series link remembers which episodes it has recorded in the last 28 days and does not record them again, this is very useful when embarking on an exercise like we have!

Thanks again.

Mike 

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is probably the place to start but it is long and ultimately not very satisfying.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TIVO-picture-glitches-at-10-mins-past-...

I struggled to get VM to acknowledge that the issue existed and, as they had no idea what to do, it took me numerous engineer visits, all great guys who were scratching their heads, and a great deal of nagging before both my affected boxes were replaced.

It is a known Tivo, as opposed to VM, bug and they do not appear to have addressed it as it is so rare. Although my argument over various threads is that it is not so rare, it is just not being recorded properly. Unfortunately that remains the case and VM would rather just replace boxes but not address the underlying issue.

It is also a mystery how the problem starts, it happened on one of my Tivos and then, because I was trying to gather evidence, I noticed it on the other. NB. I record virtually everything I watch, even live events such as a football match, to ensure that I have the tuner reserved.

Finally, as it is an error in the Tivo code that has not been addressed it is quite possible that it is also present in the new V6 as that basically runs the same code.

Oops, sorry, I am not supposed to mention the latter bit, the Censorship team have got annoyed with me in the past when I have done so.

¡No Pasarán!