Menu
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo ( or ghost ) records HD channels of own valition

Hi all,( especially Elf printer )

Thank you for all your help thus far.

I've noticed that our Tivo box appears to be recording either one or two shows ( as we all of a sudden,notice two red lights turned on at the far end of the box) and nobody in our household has planned a recording! This must have happened frequently as I found 7 HD recorded shows,none which rang any bells with any of us...really weird.I delete them of course until the next time when it does it again.Does anyone else experience this? Any idea if a Tivo can do this accidentally or is it something we are unsuspectingly doing?We don't set series link and all the programmes are different!

Steve

Steve

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo ( or ghost ) records HD channels of own valition

Hi ( PrinterElf )

Yes I'm sure you're right but the main thing is that the Tivo box is 500gb and I'll already be using up memory when I record shows that I want to record ,then if Tivo ( I'm assuming 'follows' the type of shows I watch and works out what I might be interested in ) adds more recordings,I presume I'll have to delete all those I don't wish to watch or more storage will be used .It might be a nice idea to some but to me can be time consuming having to continuously delete shows.

Once all recordings are deleted, I think tivo shows a list of them and they can be recoverd if you want but if you want them deleted permanently I think you can't recover?

Am I rightish so far? Doesn't TiVo eventually clear those deleted shows ( perhaps only the permanently deleted ones) to create storage space when it begins to become full up?

cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Suggestions and Deleted Items don't count against the available space on the box.

If it needs to record your content then it will just overwrite them automatically without intervention.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you ( as always ) PrinterElf

Reassuring!

Perhaps one good thing about 'suggestions' is that it may have made available a show which otherwise might not be available on 'catch up' after 7 days.I presume the 'suggested' show will be available much longer?

So if I've got this right I don't need to delete anything on the 'suggestions' list as Tivo will record over those shows not watched when it needs to.

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It'll be Suggestions. Been a TiVo feature for years. Have a look in the folder at the bottom of My Shows.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I think ( but can't be sure ) if I'd looked in suggestions afterwards but saw different shows to those recorded.I can't get at the box right now but will look later unless because I've deleted them,they might not show.

The next time I see the red lights go on though and can't find anyone planning a recording,I'll see if the shows match up with those in suggestions.

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ( PrinterElf )

Yes I'm sure you're right but the main thing is that the Tivo box is 500gb and I'll already be using up memory when I record shows that I want to record ,then if Tivo ( I'm assuming 'follows' the type of shows I watch and works out what I might be interested in ) adds more recordings,I presume I'll have to delete all those I don't wish to watch or more storage will be used .It might be a nice idea to some but to me can be time consuming having to continuously delete shows.

Once all recordings are deleted, I think tivo shows a list of them and they can be recoverd if you want but if you want them deleted permanently I think you can't recover?

Am I rightish so far? Doesn't TiVo eventually clear those deleted shows ( perhaps only the permanently deleted ones) to create storage space when it begins to become full up?

cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Suggestions and Deleted Items don't count against the available space on the box.

If it needs to record your content then it will just overwrite them automatically without intervention.

0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you ( as always ) PrinterElf

Reassuring!

Perhaps one good thing about 'suggestions' is that it may have made available a show which otherwise might not be available on 'catch up' after 7 days.I presume the 'suggested' show will be available much longer?

So if I've got this right I don't need to delete anything on the 'suggestions' list as Tivo will record over those shows not watched when it needs to.

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"Much longer" depends on how much you record, how much the box records for you, how much space is available, so best not to rely on it.

Tbh, avoid using On Demand/Catch-up generally - if you know in advance of broadcast that you want to watch a programme, then always record it, something the TiVo is very good at!

0 Kudos