Menu
kellyreeves87
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Tivo making a loud buzzing noise

Hello.

My Tivo is a few years old now.

A couple of days ago it started buzzing. The buzzing only happens when the Tivo is paused, fast forwarding or rewinding.

Does anyone know what it could be? 

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo making a loud buzzing noise

Hi kellyreeves87,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I just wanted to ask, does the buzzing sound come from the box itself or through the speakers of the TV set?  

This will just help me determine what may be causing the buzzing sound.

I have taken a look at your box remotely and all looks great with the signal and power levels Smiley Happy

Keep me posted on how you get on.  I'm here to help if you need me.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
kellyreeves87
Joining in
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

It's from the box itself. It does it when I fast forward, rewind or just pause but it doesn't do it every time.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Kellyreeves87, 

Thank you for coming back with this further information, I've run some further checks and still can't see any reason for this issue. 

The only thing I can suggest is that if this noise is exceptionally loud - so much so that you can hear it over the TV, then it may be best to get someone to call out and investigate. Though as it's an intermittent issue it may be difficult to replicate when the technician calls out. 

I'll send you a private message with the options for a technician, please look to the top left of this page where you'll see a red envelope icon, click on that and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Spiderand
Joining in
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting the same thing here.

This is a new Tivo box I've had a month which replaced my old one as it's hard drive had failed.

As described, when pausing, rewinding and fast forwarding there is a very loud buzz from the Tivo box itself.

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Try putting some padding under each foot on TiVo  -  see if that changes things

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Spiderand
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the suggestion but I tried to no avail. The buzz is more a high pitched electronic sound and not from vibration.

I can confirm it comes from the TV's speakers only on pause, FF and RW if that's any help.
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

That sounds more like a loose or faulty cable connection

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Spiderand
Joining in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I just replaced the HDMI cable with a brand new one and it still has the intermittent hi pitched buzz unfortunately.

My last TiVo which I had for four years was fine, this one I've had for a month and has been doing it for two weeks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Spiderand

Sorry to hear about this problem, do you have your TiVo box plugged into to any audio equipment? 

If the sound also travels through the HDMI cable and you've tried another one, would you be able to plug the TiVo into another device to be sure the TV source isn't causing anything?

Do you have any other devices you use on your TV? Like Games consoles / DVD players? If so, how are they connected and how well do they work?

Sorry for all the questions! We want to get to the bottom of this for you Man Happy

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide