Menu
Keithriches
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tivo in multiple rooms

I'm after some advice from the community or experts on installation of a second TiVo box in my home. Virgin tell me that in order to watch TiVo in another room I need another box. Seems fair. What they can't tell me though is how the installation will work or send an engineer to show me. They tell me that they will send an engineer if I agree with the setup and I can cancel if I'm not happy with what they propose... Seems a little backwards to me. They also tell me that it's about a month and a half wait for an engineer too. What I'm after is some advice on how the setup works. Does it run off a fresh cable from the brown box outside or does it patch from the existing setup? We are notating our home so most of the current setup is buried and would be problematic to get at now.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo in multiple rooms

They can put a splitter into any point where the cable is including the modem

0 Kudos
Keithriches
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The existing cable is already split, one end feeds the TiVo and one feeds the hub. Would the cable need to be split prior to this?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Keithriches wrote:
The existing cable is already split, one end feeds the TiVo and one feeds the hub. Would the cable need to be split prior to this?

nope they can split it again at any point

0 Kudos
Keithriches
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok that's very helpful to know. Would you know if it would be possible to share recordings across the two devices?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can share some recordings between two tivos if you have an ethernet cable to both, but if you get the new V6 box more recordings can be shared and it works with the Tivo as well, it's much much faster than the tivo so your best be may be to go for that option (I would) and the engineer will set it up for you so you can share recordings if you get Two V6 boxes fitted (one to replace the older tivo)

0 Kudos
Keithriches
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How do the new boxes work? Do they run off the old cables? Would it be a straight swap for the existing box and the same setup you mentioned earlier for a new box do you know?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Keithriches wrote:
How do the new boxes work? Do they run off the old cables? Would it be a straight swap for the existing box and the same setup you mentioned earlier for a new box do you know?

They run off the old cables and also need an internet connection, this can be via wifi ethernet cable or over power lines

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you don't want to watch different channels in the other room then you can simply split the HDMI signal from your TiVo and extend that to a second TV.

0 Kudos