Menu
police666
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tivo hard drive upgrade ?

Ive seen a few 1tb tivo boxes for sale on auction sites. (and before anyone says they belong to virgin, the people selling them might have paid virgin for not returning them)

would it be possible to use one of the 1tb drives to replace the the 500gb drive ? 

I believe the linux based operating system is stored on the drive ??? I was just curious if anyone has tried or done this ?  

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo hard drive upgrade ?

I understand the disc is tied to the unit - so not possible to replace the disc.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

police666 wrote:

Ive seen a few 1tb tivo boxes for sale on auction sites. (and before anyone says they belong to virgin, the people selling them might have paid virgin for not returning them)

would it be possible to use one of the 1tb drives to replace the the 500gb drive ? 

I believe the linux based operating system is stored on the drive ??? I was just curious if anyone has tried or done this ?  

1. Even if that eBay argument was valid - the boxes can only be sold for the hard drive in them, they will not work when connected to the cable network. Selling them as anything else would be breaking the Sale of Goods Act.

2) Modification of a Virgin Media kit is prohibited by the terms and conditions of service. As soon as Virgin Media detect a modification, they would be within their rights to terminate your services and charge you to replace the modified kit.

I believe currently the cost to replace a TiVo box is £150

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

police666 wrote:

1. Even if that eBay argument was valid 

Which it isn't - a customer cannot simply force a sale by refusing/failing to return Virgins property. 

In the event the payment required by virgin is in form of compenstion/restitution not a purchase agreement.

The item always remains the property of VM and to dispose of it is a straight theft.

Academic perhaps because the point of the matter in question was answered by Ben.

As is the question as to why VM are quite happy to see their stolen property openly sold on E Bay in the knowledge that innocent purchasers are being ripped off. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

spell wrote:

As is the question as to why VM are quite happy to see their stolen property openly sold on E Bay in the knowledge that innocent purchasers are being ripped off. 

I'm pretty sure that where Virgin Media are made aware of their items for sale on eBay and other places, they do get them stopped.

Unfortunately for whatever reason eBay don't seem to have anything in place to stop them being listed in the first place.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fair comment Ben - I think we've been here before with this one so I wont labour the point - I have my own theory but perhaps I'm just too cynical

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Charges for non-return of equipment

I've misplaced your equipment, what happens?

If you can’t return our equipment when you disconnect, then we’ll charge you to replace the missing equipment. The current replacement costs per item are:

• Remote Control £12
  • TiVo £150
  • V+ HD £125
  • V HD £125
  • V Box £125
  • TV Smartcard £50 
  • Super Hub £40

Smart card worth more then a superhub...

That explains everything

0 Kudos
Seangauld
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My girlfriend had the 2 boxes in the bedrooms.
Virgin came to install Internet and phone and just asked for the BOXES only. No leads. No remotes but also wanted the cards.
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Would be even better if they officially offered 2Tb boxes or switched the HD channels so they used MPEG-4 compression.

The space used up by the MPEG-2 compressed HD channels is seriously eating up my disc space!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos