Menu
IcedEarth_Dave
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Tivo hard drive noice very audible

Hi,

After nearly 5 years my cisco Tivo box died a green screen death on the weekend. Virgin were very quick to order me a replacement and I received it yesterday within 2 days of the problem occurring.

However, upon setting up the new box (appears identical to the old one), I have noticed that the hard drive is incredibly loud - a very audible rumble and ticking. So loud that I can perceive it above the TV when that is set a reasonable volume. 

The old box never made such loud noises - in fact it was perfectly quiet unless you were right up next to it. 

I can hear it from 6 feet away with the news on. It is on the same shelf as the last one (it was a straight swap out - didn't even have to move the cables). I've tried holding it away from the cabinet it rests on but it did not reduce the noise a great deal. In comparison to my home or work computer hard drive volume emitted it is substantially louder.

My question: is this usual or problematic? 

I don't want to build up a library of recordings only for it to fail, perhaps it was damaged in transit. However I understand in the last 4 years different hard drives might be used to what I was supplied with...

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo hard drive noice very audible

Hi I'm afraid you have another faulty box, hopefully they should now replace it with a V6.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo hard drive noice very audible

Hi IcedEarth_Dave,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry the hear you're having trouble with your TiVo®.

I've located your account and I can see you have a technician booked to fix this for you. Let us know how the appointment goes and give me a shout if you need anything else.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos