Menu
IcedEarth_Dave
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo hard drive noice very audible

Hi,

After nearly 5 years my cisco Tivo box died a green screen death on the weekend. Virgin were very quick to order me a replacement and I received it yesterday within 2 days of the problem occurring.

However, upon setting up the new box (appears identical to the old one), I have noticed that the hard drive is incredibly loud - a very audible rumble and ticking. So loud that I can perceive it above the TV when that is set a reasonable volume. 

The old box never made such loud noises - in fact it was perfectly quiet unless you were right up next to it. 

I can hear it from 6 feet away with the news on. It is on the same shelf as the last one (it was a straight swap out - didn't even have to move the cables). I've tried holding it away from the cabinet it rests on but it did not reduce the noise a great deal. In comparison to my home or work computer hard drive volume emitted it is substantially louder.

My question: is this usual or problematic? 

I don't want to build up a library of recordings only for it to fail, perhaps it was damaged in transit. However I understand in the last 4 years different hard drives might be used to what I was supplied with...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo hard drive noice very audible

Hi I'm afraid you have another faulty box, hopefully they should now replace it with a V6.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi IcedEarth_Dave,

Thanks for posting!

I'm sorry the hear you're having trouble with your TiVo®.

I've located your account and I can see you have a technician booked to fix this for you. Let us know how the appointment goes and give me a shout if you need anything else.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
IcedEarth_Dave
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The engineer visited and explained that it was due to different model Hard Disk Drives - being different spec/model to previous.

However as mine was probably over a threshold of noise he has now swapped it out for a V6 box - which is whisper quiet in comparison

So we are very happy here.

The engineer was very friendly and exhibited great customer service, not sure if there is a means to feed that back but I would if I can

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi IcedEarth_Dave

Thanks for taking the time to get back to us about this, I'm glad to hear that the engineer was able to solve the issue and the new box isn't bothering you!

We'll be here should you need any assistance with your services moving forward.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos