Menu
pompeygazza
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo hard drive keeps spinning up in standby

good afternoon,

I noticed last night that the hard drive in my tivo box keeps spinning up every 20 seconds for about 10 seconds and then repeats, the box is in standby, should this happen?

regards,

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jonathanlouis
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo hard drive keeps spinning up in standby

as far as im aware this shouldnt be happening and your right in putting your comment for the virgin forum team to investigate if its still ongoing then its a issue which requires a engineer to take a look or its a fault with box the team will get this looked at when they see your comment all the best jonni forum team #ex customer /helper it takes while for them to answer you

All Replies
jonathanlouis
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

as far as im aware this shouldnt be happening and your right in putting your comment for the virgin forum team to investigate if its still ongoing then its a issue which requires a engineer to take a look or its a fault with box the team will get this looked at when they see your comment all the best jonni forum team #ex customer /helper it takes while for them to answer you
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This sounds exactly like what mine started doing since the last update. Others reporting the same:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-excessive-noise-during-night/m-p/...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Keeps-Spinning-Up-Down/m-p/323206...

I posted in one of the above threads although I have noticed that someone claims to have fixed it on their box:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TiVo-Keeps-Spinning-Up-Down/m-p/329822...

I will have to try this myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
pompeygazza
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

great stuff G4DDS, i looked through the forums but couldn't find any similar problems.  Nice detective work.  I shall try the power saving settings and turning off exercise tonight.

regards,

0 Kudos
pompeygazza
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well, disconnecting the power and reconnecting after 2 minutes seems to have done the trick.  If this issue was caused by a s/w update then it's a pretty poor show really.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

pompeygazza wrote:

Well, disconnecting the power and reconnecting after 2 minutes seems to have done the trick.  If this issue was caused by a s/w update then it's a pretty poor show really.

Interesting that this seems to fix it. I wonder if the hard drive controller is in some "weird" state that is not reset by a power-on reboot but needs a full power off reboot. I still haven't got round to trying this - box always seems to be recording something or me watching something!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos