Menu
general-gordon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tivo go slow

I chose virgin TiVo for it's access to Netflix as it had been advertised by virgin media for being the best platform, [trades description comes to mind] only to find that it is slow slow slow.

I have 200meg broad band which tests at over 212 most day's yet loading Netflix take's for ever with buffering a normal occurrence while access via my virgin mobile phone is instantaneous!!

After systems checks proved that all was working ok I called customer services to be informed that an upgrade to the software is due on the 27th July. We shall see, not impressed.    

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
kompendium
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo go slow

Your 200Mb broadband is a separate service. Unless you've connected your TiVo to your broadband router via ethernet cable you won't be getting 200Mb. Instead you get TiVo's dedicated internet connection which is more like 10Mb which everyone gets with TiVo whether they have broadband or not. 

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi General-Gordon,

Thank you for taking the time to post to the Community, welcome in! Smiley Happy

I am sorry to read about the recent issues you've experienced on the TiVo's Netflix. I have been able to tests the TiVo's connection and see that the internal modem that is in use by the Netflix is operating well.

I did notice that there is some out of date TV guide data and would ask to give this a try:-

1. Press Home on your TiVo remote
  2. Select Help & Settings.
  3. Choose Settings.
  4. Select Network.
  5. Choose Connect to the Virgin Media Service now.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again after the 27th Smiley Happy 

Thank you and take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
general-gordon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

Well it's the 28th and if anything it is even slower, Reminds me of the day's spent on the ZX Spectrum, Why is this unit so rubbish? when a mobile phone  via wifi  on the virgin network is instantaneous on Netflix!!!!!!!!!!!

Malcolm.  {Peeved of Kent}

0 Kudos
kompendium
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your 200Mb broadband is a separate service. Unless you've connected your TiVo to your broadband router via ethernet cable you won't be getting 200Mb. Instead you get TiVo's dedicated internet connection which is more like 10Mb which everyone gets with TiVo whether they have broadband or not. 

0 Kudos
general-gordon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI

Thanks for the info, That's why it's so bloody slow compared to the mobile phone on wifi !

Malcolm,

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi general-Gordon,

Sorry you're still having trouble with the TiVo®.

Here's a little trick you can try to clear unnecessary background data on the TiVo® to help speed it up!

Just go to the Home screen and on the remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play.

You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds. Once the screen comes back on, you should notice the TiVo® speed up.

Hope this helps!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Mcantwel
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's strange that TiVo is so useless with Netflix when it is supposedly one of the few boxes that is certified by Netflix for HD streaming. This restriction (by Netflix) is supposed to prevent poor Netflix end user experience, clearly this is failing here. Firestick at SD screams flawlessly and can access it, fast forward, rewind etc with very little if any lag, functions that stall on TiVo. If Netflix opened up HD to other boxes, I would be straight in with such as a Minix Neo U1.

My TiVo is connected via Ethernet to the Super hub with 150Mb connection and would expect any updates or settings to be managed automatically but perhaps I'm being naive here....

So, do I fork out £50 (twice the cost of my Firestick) for a V6 upgrade and hope that it's sorted on that? As the installers are contractors, they are unlikely to give a hoot if it's not...

0 Kudos
general-gordon
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi
I purchased a led smart TV then I use the Netflix app via WiFi. And would you belive it, it's instant wit no problems.

So she'll out for a new smart TV in the sales and not the extra £7 odd for more of the same slow service on virgin new box.
0 Kudos