Menu
peterr_ibg
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tivo deleted lots of stuff and I cant get it back

I have a Tivi 1TB machine and been running recordings with a combination of KUID and Space Needed

Last night I noticed space available had increased and had gone from approx 82% full to 62%. When I check on recording hiccups it has autodeleted lots of programmes, which I cant recover.  

All of the deleted recordings were set to Space Needed, but I had no warning that they were going , in fact a couple of programmes deleted on the same day as they were recorded

Up until now the Tivo would warn me that programmes would be deleted within the next few days due to space needed ( even though I still had 20% or more free space) but it never seemed to actualy go ahead and do it.

My question is has there been a change that causes this auto delete to happen and why is there no option to recover my programmes? ( It deleted 6 episodes of a series Ive yet to start watching and episode 10 is about to record  - so now a waste of time as I cant catch up the first in the series)

I know KUID is an option , but this cant be set to the default and is a PITA to have to adjust for every recording

I've seen a couple of threads with similar issue, but these all seem to be with 500gb sets and not seen a response from VM as to what the problem is

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo deleted lots of stuff and I cant get it back

Hi peterr_ibg,

Welcome to the forum community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear a lot of your recordings have gone.  I know how annoying this can be.

Are the recordings lost showing in the 'Deleted Folder'?  If so you should be able to recover them.

In some cases, a reboot has restored recordings when they were unexpectedly lost.  Give this a try and see if this helps.  Let me know how you get on, I'm here to help if you need anything.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
peterr_ibg
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette

Reboot hasnt changed anything I'm afraid

lost recordings are not in deleted folder, they are showing in Recording Hiccups  they show as being deleted due to space needed with no option to recover

As I mentioned, box was only 80%ish full and gave no warning  - even deleted programmes only recorded the day before

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi peterr_ibg,

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that the recordings weren't recoverable.  Currently we are looking into an issue that has been causing mass deletions of recordings.  It's an ongoing investigation at present as of yet I have seen any update.

We will be keeping eyes and ears open on this issue and as soon as we know more we shall let you know the outcome.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused.  If it happens again or you have any other queries, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
gooding5
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Fine-tuning recordings on your TiVo box

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2467&CURRENT_C...

Keep until
Decide how long you’d like to keep each episode. The default setting is Space Needed. To keep it until you choose to delete it, choose Until I Delete

Tivo looks 14 days ahead .

Smiley Happy

I work in the VM Swansea Faults Center .All comments are my own.
I do NOT speak for VM.
0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Interestingly this is the first 1Tb version I have heard have this issue.
Only other thing is probably it was a Samsung.

I guess no one is safe from this as it has been going on for years now....
0 Kudos
countyexile
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have a 500mb TIVO and this issue has happened on mine twice in the past 4 days.

I set recordings to remain until I delete and before the issue arose only 52% of the storage was used, but this dropped overnight to 28%.

The recordings deleted were all recently recorded ones (within the past 4 weeks) whereas much older ones remain.

At the same time the "recently deleted" box items have all disappeared too!

Neither a soft reboot nor full reboot has made any difference.

To say it's frustrating is an understatement as several episodes of recently recorded series, which we haven't had the chance to watch yet, have disappeared (Jericho, Dickensian, Vera etc all gone)!

All this happening shortly after Virgin's latest inflation busting price increase!

0 Kudos
Jam86
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Once again this has happened to me randomly. It happened before a couple of years ago. Admittedly my box was at abot 90% now at 60%. Old shows still there but stuff i recorder around christmas time particularly for my kids are now missing leaving me with an unhappy house.

All programs were set to delete when i do it ie not by time or space needed. But movies i recorded 3 years ago are still left behind.

Useless. I cannot wait to move house so i can get rid of this aweful service that keeps being put up each month but yet channel count is decreasing.

Annoyed customer
Justin
0 Kudos
alliejb
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This happened to me over the weekend went from 78% full to 32%, very frustrated!!  It kept the programmes recorded in the suggestions folder but deleted my programmes, even the ones marked to be kept until I deleted them.  I have now changed the settings so no suggestions are recorded.  I did ring up but got no help whatsoever, just basically it has been happening & it's tough! Not happy

0 Kudos
Robmar123
Just joined
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I write in total disillusion with the Tivo box provided by Virgin Media.

Recently, it has started regularly deleting recordings overnight. (These are generally recorded in the early hours, between 0300-0500). The "Recently Deleted Items" folder is also then emptied.

It has become the norm for this to occur, and for some odd reason, the box retains always exactly 6 minutes of one recording, which has an hour glass next to it, i.e. it is scheduled for deletion.

Obviously, as this 6 minutes worth of recording time is utterly useless to me, I delete it straight away, but I am uncertain as to why this happens.

On Saturday 27/2/16 I recorded three programmes during the morning, and one more at 0045 (Sunday morning). I was actually up at that time, and left the programme to record, but watched an existing recording.

Once the programme had finished recording, I clicked "Keep Until I Delete" (due to the problems that my partner and I have been experiencing). I had already protected the three shows that I recorded on Saturday morning.

My partner and I went to bed, and assumed that our recordings were safe, so that we could watch them on Sunday.

However, when we prepared to do so, we found that two of the shows from Saturday morning had been deleted, whilst the show from 0045 had also been deleted. This was despite the fact that all of these recordings had been supposedly protected, i.e. "Keep Until I Delete".

A quick check online seemed to reveal that this is a well-known problem, and one which Virgin Media acknowledges, and has pledged to work on. However, the comments that my partner and I read started in 2014, yet this issue is still occurring.

Once again, this morning I checked recordings from last night (again from 0300-0500) and all four had been deleted. Obviously, these were not protected, but even if they had have been, I doubt that this would have made a difference.

If the Tivo box is unfit for the purpose for which my partner and I want it for, then it is of absolutely no use to us whatsoever, and we might as well leave Virgin Media.

I will add here that we have encountered extremely poor quality of Virgin Media TV service AND customer service in the past, and it seems that this issue with the Tivo box is the latest in a string of problems that we have encountered.

We previously had Sky installed at my partner's previous address, and we never experienced any issues with it. However, we moved to Virgin Media as we hoped that we would be receiving a good quality of service for a great price.

My partner had recently mentioned the possibility of upgrading to a Tivo box with a larger capacity, but this would mean that we would lose all of the recording on our existing Tivo box.

We have already checked on the possibility of transferring recordings to another Tivo box or an alternative external device for backup purposes, but it appears that there is no way of doing this.

In these modern days of removable media, unreliable technology and the need for backups, there is surely a need for this. Additionally, this must discourage some customers from upgrading, knowing that they will lose their existing recordings (as it has done with us).

Virgin Media customers will have entire series that they have not gotten around to watching, and this is true of us. We do not wish to lose these, otherwise we might as well just give up the whole service and go back to Sky (or an alternative TV service supplier and recording device).

I do not wish to phone 150, then wait on the phone for long periods of time, only to speak to an agent who does not understand what I am saying or asking (as in previous experiences).

From these experiences, I am certain that I will simply be asked if I have "restarted the Tivo box" and/or asked if I have "checked the Recently Deleted Items folder" (even after I have explained the problems in great detail. The other possibility is that I will be told that the Tivo box is faulty, and we will have a replacement which has the same problem.

It is worth taking note of the frustration of other customers here:-

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/why-is-TIVO-box-deleting-programs-on-...
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-deleted-lots-of-stuff-and-I-cant...

Having checked the "Recording Hiccups" folder for the shows that I recorded over the weekend, this showed that the recordings were deleted due to "Space needed". However, there was plenty of space for these recordings to be retained, and many people on the forum have had this problem occur when they have used much less space than I had. (Some had only used approximately 40%).

The folder also mentioned that space had been needed for recordings to take place at certain times of the next day. I will add here that there were NO shows scheduled to record at those times of day. In the same folder, there were shows that the series links had noticed, but then not recorded them (and rightly so, in line with the options that I had chosen, i.e. new only).

However, it may be that this problem is being caused by a software error (or other matter) which first of all notices these recordings, deletes my existing recordings to make space for these "phantom" recordings, which it does not - and will not- record, and then realises that those recordings need not take place.

This is, of course, far too late for users recordings, which are then deleted and lost forever, as the "Recently deleted" folder is then emptied.

A software fix, overhaul, removal of automatic disk management, or the ability to prevent the "Recently deleted" folder from being emptied would help to resolve this issue.

Alternatively, the fore-mentioned ability to backup recordings could help to free up disk space, or to allow customers to transfer their recordings to a different Tivo box or other device, in the event that their existing box becomes faulty, or they wish to upgrade.

After several price increases for this "service" and this latest issue, I can honestly say that my partner and I are seriously considering leaving Virgin Media.

It seems that there are many unhappy Virgin Media customers at present, due to this issue and others, which can only be good for Sky or another alternative service provider.