Menu
Enquirer
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Tivo boxswap

I received an email telling me that my V+ box would "soon no longer support the channels I enjoy", so I was offered a free Tivo box as part of a 'boxswap'. I have questions about this so I phoned Virgin Media a few minutes ago. The person I spoke to had not heard anything about this and insisted that to get a Tivo box would cost me £99.99. He even put me on hold while he checked this out. So I suggested to him that maybe the email was a scam. I gave up on this phone call, but a few minutes later the same man phoned me back to announce that my broadband speed was being upgraded 'free of charge'. I don't care much about my broadband speed because I've never noticed any difference whenever it has been upgraded, and this is totally unconnected to the call that I made.

So is the Tivo boxswap a real thing or is the email a scam? Looking at this forum, it appears to be a real thing, so why don't VM staff know about it and how can I get my questions answered?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo boxswap

Try again ringing virgin, like all companies sometimes you get a very good person other times you get one who is useless, good luck.
0 Kudos
1an3
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's definitely kosher, I had the same email, completed the form, and the delivery is booked for Monday 30th. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Anyone with the older Scientific Atlanta V+ boxes will need them replacing if you subscribe to Sky Sports or Sky Movies in HD, as these channels are moving to a different compression standard not supported by these older boxes.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Try again ringing virgin, like all companies sometimes you get a very good person other times you get one who is useless, good luck.
0 Kudos
1an3
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's definitely kosher, I had the same email, completed the form, and the delivery is booked for Monday 30th. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Anyone with the older Scientific Atlanta V+ boxes will need them replacing if you subscribe to Sky Sports or Sky Movies in HD, as these channels are moving to a different compression standard not supported by these older boxes.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

1an3
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

yep that was the reason for mine 

0 Kudos
Enquirer
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to all who replied. I knew (of course) that the original email was genuine, but I was definitely not impressed with the standard of service from yesterday's call to VM. Today a letter arrived from VM stating exactly the same as the email. I gave VM one more try and as predicted by LittleMick73 , I spoke to someone who was the complete opposite of yesterday's representative, in other words, he knew what he was talking about. So now I have established that :

1) My V+ box definitely needs changing;

2) My 2nd box, which is a V box, does not have to be changed, but I have the option to do so. ;

3) If I choose to replace both boxes, a technician will need to set them up, whereas if I choose to replace just the V+, I can set it up myself ;

4) Quickstart is the name of the exercise through which VM is getting customers to replace their own boxes. (Why wasn't this made clear in the email?);

5) My existing recordings on the V+ can't be transferred to the new Tivo box. Not a surprise, but I thought it was worth asking.

6) There is no additional monthly charge. In fact, my bill will decrease by approximately £1 if I choose to replace both my V+ & V boxes, and by approximately £5-6 if I replace the V+ and retain the V. This is something that I will check again - call me sceptical, because that's what I am.

So now that I have my questions answered, I can arrange my 'boxswap'..

Some learning points for VM:

1) Make sure your call centre staff are conversant with your products & services, especially those which are subject to imminent change.

2) When informing customers of a change to their service, provide a specific and simple means of getting in touch so that any issues can be discussed. It is not good enough to simply refer customers to virginmedia.com. By contrast, when I was invited to renew my line rental saver( i.e. something that requires making a payment), I did so through a dedicated phone number.

Thanks again to all who replied.

0 Kudos
Enquirer
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You're right and it's not the first time that I have experienced this.
0 Kudos
Enquirer
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I knew the email was genuine. It is so frustrating when you talk with someone who clearly has no idea what their company has been sending to customers, and then gets worse when they give out wrong information.
0 Kudos
Enquirer
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this technical information - makes sense without being over complicated.
0 Kudos
James79
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just a supplementary query. My V+ is due to be replaced through this box swap programme. However, I know someone else who has a V+ and who has not received any communication from VM.

I understand that they don't currently subscribe to Sky Movies or Sports. Can they apply for a swap via the website?
0 Kudos