Menu
nigeldodd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box won't connect to AV receiver any more through hdmi

For over a year my Tivo box has been connected via hdmi to my Yamaha RX-V671 audio visual receiver and things worked fine. The AV box acts as a hdmi switch. I also have a Chromecast and various other hdmi devices connected to it. The output of the AV box goes to the TV via hdmi. The other purpose of the AV box is to take the sound from the hdmi inputs, amplify/process it and send it to the 7.1 speaker system. 

This worked fine until a few weeks ago. Then the Tivo seemed to develop a number of problems. It would not display the picture and/or the EPG or even recorded programs through the AV box. Now the screen usually appears completely blank. Bypassing the AV box often seemed to solve the problem but this results in a degradation of audio quality.

I have tried using other hdmi leads and other hdmi inputs to the AV box. 

I hesitate to phone 151 about this because I suspect Virgin limit their responsibility to getting their equipment to work through a standard TV.

I wonder if there have been any recent upgrades to the Tivo software that have made it more fussy about the device it feeds to (Performing rights issues?).

I wonder if the Tivo box has suffered a degradation of performance and voltages on the hdmi output are no longer up to spec. 

Any ideas or help, please?

0 Kudos
derekwatson3
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box won't connect to AV receiver any more through hdmi

nigeldodd wrote:

For over a year my Tivo box has been connected via hdmi to my Yamaha RX-V671 audio visual receiver and things worked fine. The AV box acts as a hdmi switch. I also have a Chromecast and various other hdmi devices connected to it. The output of the AV box goes to the TV via hdmi. The other purpose of the AV box is to take the sound from the hdmi inputs, amplify/process it and send it to the 7.1 speaker system. 

This worked fine until a few weeks ago. Then the Tivo seemed to develop a number of problems. It would not display the picture and/or the EPG or even recorded programs through the AV box. Now the screen usually appears completely blank. Bypassing the AV box often seemed to solve the problem but this results in a degradation of audio quality.

I have tried using other hdmi leads and other hdmi inputs to the AV box. 

I hesitate to phone 151 about this because I suspect Virgin limit their responsibility to getting their equipment to work through a standard TV.

I wonder if there have been any recent upgrades to the Tivo software that have made it more fussy about the device it feeds to (Performing rights issues?).

I wonder if the Tivo box has suffered a degradation of performance and voltages on the hdmi output are no longer up to spec. 

Any ideas or help, please?

hi try connecting  TiVo box just to tv not though a/v amp,if that solves the problem the  amp is at fault

0 Kudos
nigeldodd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Derek, I already said "Bypassing the AV box often seemed to solve the problem but this results in a degradation of audio quality." and the AV box works with other hdmi inputs with no problem, so I am hesitant to blame the AV box. An incompatibility of the Tivo box with the AV box has developed over time. The whole point of the AV box is to send the sound to the 7.1 speaker system and pass the video through to the tv. Without the AV box in the loop, the sound is much degraded.

0 Kudos
sjp123
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

a bodge perhaps, can you pass the audio back from the TV to the amp over optical?

0 Kudos
nigeldodd
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, indeed, that is the bodge or workaround that I have adopted but the tv seems not to carry all the sound information (when discrete channels are broadcast) back down the optical link to the AV box. I am missing out on the inherent high sound quality (Proms HD broadcasts for instance) and the convenience of switching using the AV box. But thanks.

0 Kudos
nigeldodd
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

With a degree of embarrassment I need to report that this problem has been solved by using a 4K hdmi lead. Obviously the problem was with the connections having oxidised over time, or possibly the updates to the Virgin Media branded Tivo software requiring more bandwidth or handshakes etc. than the regular cables (I used two which work well in other setups) were able to deliver.

I have ordered a high quality 4K capable shorter hdmi cable from Ebay as hopefully a permanent solution.

I hope this solution might be of use to others.

0 Kudos