Menu
mlansdell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box very slow

The UI of the Tivo box is incredibly slow. It was never what you might call nippy but it's unbearable now. Networked apps such as Netflix and iPlayer have always been almost unusable (Netflix IS actually unusable, I sometimes use iPlayer via Tivo because it won't work at all on the XBox when the internet is slow, which is often), but now just trying to click through to the TV guide or my recorded programmes takes about 30 seconds, often with a blank screen whilst waiting but can take several minutes.

Features like the networked apps or the Virgin TV Anywhere iPhone app have always been rubbish, if they worked at all, but I've ignored them as I have other devices that can do the job or they are just gimmicks. But using the Tivo box is now well below the experience of not having it, which makes me wonder why I do and why I've wasted so much money on Virgin as a TV provider...

Now I've got that off my chest...

Any suggestion on how to speed up the box?

Thanks!

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box very slow

You could do a clear and wipe everything if you don't mind loosing recordings
0 Kudos
Browser01
Superfast
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Wiping everything probably wont work either.

There are an increasing number of reports of 'new' tivo installations showing all of the problems which infest this system.

0 Kudos
sapper_arj
Superfast
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

We here have started to use the AppleTV to watch iplayer services now.  Before we had the new AppleTV, several times I connected my laptop as it was quicker!

Far quicker than the TIVO version, even when the internet is slow mid-late evening!!

0 Kudos
mlansdell
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but I don't think I should have to delete all my recordings.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi mlansdell, 

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post and apologies to hear your TiVo® is running slow. Smiley Sad 

The first thing to try is giving it a reboot to see if this helps.

Also, you wouldn't have to delete all your recordings. Just go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there.

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank. When the screen comes back on you should notice the TiVo® speed up.

The TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. This sequence clears the cache and by doing this you remove all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
john113
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Tried your thumbs down / up suggestion, nothing happened, the delay in the SamsungTivo is very annoying now, done numerous re-boots and the improvement is only short-term, the biggest delay is returning to TV after watching and deleting a recording could almost have a 3 course meal with the time it takes, the old V+ box was totally reliable, easier to use plus I could pre-program the evenings channel changes without being forced to record as well. To put icing on the cake as well as a temperamental Tivo and an alleged broadband speed that has not been noticed Virgin are now banging up the monthly bill, may review my options 

0 Kudos
hippyclone
Dialled in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I had also come here to complain that the UI was getting increasingly unresponsive, taking up to 5 seconds to produce the Play menu after selecting a programme from the My Show list, then taking up to 10 seconds to actually play the programme when Play selected. There seemed no consistency to that but it was frequent enough to become extremely annoying. I was also experiencing similar lack of responsiveness when selecting TV from y Shows or pressing Home or My Shows when watching TV.

"Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play" appears to have improved things for me. Whether it actually has; only time will tell.

0 Kudos
SteveGreenway
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Join the club.

Reading through the forums there are a lot of complaints about slow Tivos, with no news from Virgin. So it is a case of suck it up or leave, seems to be Virgin's view at the moment. They are deafeningly quiet on the subject at the moment.

0 Kudos
john113
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am sorely tempted to find another provider, every year something initiates yet another price rise and every year it is yet another phone call to get a better deal, it shouldnt be like this with customers that have been with them from the very beginning.

0 Kudos