Menu
Zachary_J
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box stuck on update, stage 2 of 3

Since this morning my tivo box has been updating, it says it would take a few minutes, yet it's nearly 11pm and it's still on stage 2 of 3.

This is the second time my tivo box has got stuck on this, the last time this happened someone had to be called out, and I had to get a new tivo box, which got rid of all of my recordings.

Is there any way this can be fixed?

The exact message on my screen reads as this:

"Important

Please do not switch off your set-top box.

We're updating your digital TV service, which may take a few minutes.

Your box will restart automatically when this is complete.

Updating - Stage 2 of 3"

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
emoloz
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box stuck on update, stage 2 of 3

Blame it on 512 MB of ram, your system is struggling to process the data and then crashes because the memory is full and overloaded, my advise is to switch it on and off again and restart the update, it may take a few goes for some people sadly. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

emoloz wrote:

Blame it on 512 MB of ram, your system is struggling to process the data and then crashes because the memory is full and overloaded, my advise is to switch it on and off again and restart the update, it may take a few goes for some people sadly. 

If hardware limitations were the problem, many many more software updates would be failing.

Do you have any proof over your repeated assertion that all problems are related to limited RAM?

0 Kudos
Zachary_J
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

turning the box on and off again does absolutely nothing, I've tried that previously
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

emoloz wrote:

Blame your insistence that it's a lack of RAM in the box on a lack of understanding as to how TiVo operates.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Zachary_J wrote:
turning the box on and off again does absolutely nothing, I've tried that previously

Ring it in - unfortunately there is always a small percentage (usually <1%) of boxes which fail during the update procedure.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Zachary_J
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Funnily enough didn't even have to phone virgin up. They phoned us the day after I posted this, telling us they would send someone out for us, and today a guy came and replaced the box. So if virgin are anything, at least they're efficient, I don't think I can fault their customer service

Stellios
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just returned from holiday to find my TiVo box in darkness except for a single blue light.

I have the same screen and no progress is happening, it's just sitting there stuck on stage 2 of 3.

I haven't updated my package or changed anything. I've had no problems with my service at all since becoming a customer last year until now.

I have turned off the TiVo box at the plug and done the basic troubleshooting but it just shoots through stage 1 then sticks on stage 2.

Please could someone from Virgin help. It's mainly for my daughter. She will be distraught if I can't play her pepper pig tomorrow when she wakes up. She's missed it..

Many thanks.

Stellios.
0 Kudos
Stellios
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

All working again now. Didn't touch anything just left it and it's now back working and doesn't look like its missed at recording...
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stellios,

Thanks you for the update and I'm sorry for the disruption this delayed update caused.

It's great that all is up and running now for you and for your daughter to watch Pepper Pig Smiley Happy

If you have any further disruptions or have a query, you know where to find us.

We're here to help. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos