Menu
mtom
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box rebootathon

Hey gang,

Having a lot of troubles with the set-top box this morning.

When it was first turned on, it took a long time to Start Up, then turned itself off. The second time, it turned itself off while showing a lot of red lights. The third time, it turned on and stayed on.

A little later, it froze a couple of minutes into a Netflix show. It did not respond to the remote control in this state. I did a hard reset of the box (turned it off and on again with the rocker switch). When it (eventually) restarted, the TiVo interface was very stroppy because it couldn't download TV schedule or app preferences etc. Eventually it rebooted itself again.

Later still, we got back into Netflix and a couple of minutes into a show it froze again.

Our internet connectivity has been unaffected throughout.

Could this be related to the new firmware rollout? I'd cast my vote for "not a fan" if that's the case ;-)

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Beemer
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo box rebootathon

Have you tried removing mains power for say 10 seconds before powering up.   My understanding is that some of the new firmware updates needs this be done.   I have just done the latest firmware update and my Netflix is working fine.

Ian 

All Replies
mtom
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately this is an ongoing issue. I can reproduce the problem reliably:

* Start Netflix on the TiVo
* Press play on a show
-- it diddles around for fifteen seconds doing whatever it is that the TiVo box likes to do, and it sure does love to do a lot of secret stuff slooooowly --
* It plays for about a minute, and then the screen freezes
* After three minutes of frozen screen, the box reboots itself
* It shows "Starting up" in the big white font for fifteen seconds with blue light showing, then
* The box reboots itself, and the screen goes dead for half a minute during which time the TiVo shows red/red/green red/red/red/red lights, then
* The box restarts again, then reboots after twenty seconds, then maybe again, and then ...
* Eventually some five minutes after the initial reboot it boots up properly, and we can go into Netflix to make it do exactly the same thing again.

The hard drive on the box is only about 30% full, there are no network or hardware problems that I can see. Has anyone encountered this? Is this just a ridiculously cynical way of getting us to pay for a new set-top box?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Beemer
Up to speed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you tried removing mains power for say 10 seconds before powering up.   My understanding is that some of the new firmware updates needs this be done.   I have just done the latest firmware update and my Netflix is working fine.

Ian 

mtom
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ian. Current indications are that this did the trick!
0 Kudos