Menu
Muttley
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box pixellation and colour issues/washed out picture

So I've had my Tivo box for 2 weeks and nothing but constant niggling issues with it, the picture keeps pixellating and every programme has a greenish tint to it, particularly noticeable when watching old black and white films or something where the background is very dark, not so much black and white but greenish and white!!! I know it can't be the TV colour as when playing DVD's the colours are perfectly ok so it must be something to do with the Tivo box or the cabling/connections to it! Ran a test online last night and the results were 'inconclusive'

Had Virgin installed for 14 years and a V+ box for the majority of those, I would have the V+box back in a heartbeat, vibrant colours, great picture and worked perfectly well, I suspect the 14 year old cabling and connections aren't up to the job of supplying both 50mb broadband and a Tivo service through a split connection!

Anybody else having these issues?

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box pixellation and colour issues/washed out picture

Muttley wrote:

So I've had my Tivo box for 2 weeks and nothing but constant niggling issues with it, the picture keeps pixellating and every programme has a greenish tint to it, particularly noticeable when watching old black and white films or something where the background is very dark, not so much black and white but greenish and white!!! I know it can't be the TV colour as when playing DVD's the colours are perfectly ok so it must be something to do with the Tivo box or the cabling/connections to it! Ran a test online last night and the results were 'inconclusive'

Had Virgin installed for 14 years and a V+ box for the majority of those, I would have the V+box back in a heartbeat, vibrant colours, great picture and worked perfectly well, I suspect the 14 year old cabling and connections aren't up to the job of supplying both 50mb broadband and a Tivo service through a split connection!

Anybody else having these issues?

Don't know about a green tint but the picture is certainly very dark and washed out. I have reported this before as have a number of others. I have several devices connected via an HDMI switch and it is immediately apparent how much better (clearer/brighter/more vibrant colours) the other sources are. Changing settings can work around it to a degree but rubbish in, rubbish out. You can check if the pixellation is due to signal or just VM compression/processing by looking at the error counts on the diagnostics screens. Some of the "lesser" sd channels are quite blurry too.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
Muttley
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update - Definitely the Tivo box at fault as I spent an hour last night adjusting the colour/contrast/brightness on the TV just to get a picture that was watchable!! Put it in standby last night and switched on this morning to find the picture had a terrible pronounced blue/purple tint to it, my TV colour settings had not changed!! 

Restarted the Tivo by switching off at the mains and hey presto the colours are back to normal, seems I now can't leave it in standby overnight and have to switch off at the mains to keep my current TV colour configuration, never seen or heard of anything so daft!

Any explanation from Virgin would be welcome as it must be something to do with the updates they send through, either that or the Tivo is just faulty!

V+ HD all the way, yet to be remotely convinced that Tivo is an improvement.........

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Muttley,

Thanks for coming by and also updating us on your progress.

I'm sorry that you're not getting the best picture possible via the TiVo® box.  I'd be happy to check this further for you.

I have connected to your box remotely and currently I am unable to get full readings at the moment.  Can you please confirm if the box is turned on at present?

Once confirmed I can check further for you Smiley Happy

I'm keen to help find out what is happening as ideally you shouldn't have to power the box off/on again to get a good picture.  

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
IanS
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have had similar problems over the last few days.

On switching on in the morning the picture is blue/purple, basically unwatchable.

Unplugging and switching on improves things but the picture is in no way good.

Could someone please contact me as above.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi IanS,

Thank you for coming back and posting, I can see it's been quite some time since you had a chat with us last, welcome back Smiley Happy

I'm very sorry to read about the TiVo issues in the home and would love to help but would require some additional information. I've popped a 'Private Message' over to you. You can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos